Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storage issue on a small old server need help.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dragonburger

dragonburger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

So I inherited a mess of a network and servers taking my first job out of college. I'm alone here. But one of our old little servers which is the Window updates / System center, SQL, MS lync and AV server has some issues. With storage or lack there of I should say.

The primary logical drive is an array that has a 30gig C: volume a 1tb D: volume to the right of it in storage manager. So I can't really extend C: any until I do something with the D: volume.

I decided to buy 3 new drives build my own array in the remaining space of the controller and I built a simple volume on it. My thinking is that I can clone D: to the new drive and delete D: relabel the new volume to D: and then extend C: that way I have all the room in the world for C:

My noobish question is, is this the best way to do this? What should I use to copy D:\ to the new volume that I created? And If it's not what is the best way to handle this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

1. What kind of server (make, model, Operating system and Raid controller)?
  2. what raid type?
  3. How much storage space is left on the C: and the D:?
  4. What is stored on the D: drive? SQL server database? other Databases? (If you move these and dont redirect the software it will all crash :( )
  5. Is the only concern the Lack of storage on the C: drive? (you can extend the C drive to the D drive with partition management software such as gparted)

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 May 2014 - 04:39 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:19 AM

I would start with WSUS,now that XP has been done and dusted, make sure to select the "Superceeded" option when you view "All Updates".

Then you click the top of superceeded and navigate down untill you see the little blue line all the way to the right, this means the update has been superceeded (Or sort them how you like).

Select the first one and hold shift and scroll all the way down untill it moves to the left  (Blue line should be in the left side of supperceeded tree) then you right click and select "Decline".

It will take a long time but after that run the WSUS cleanmanager (Options/ Server Clean Up). You will gain literally 60 GIG from that alone.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 20 May 2014 - 01:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users