Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

safe and secure downloading sites for free books?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 defurman

defurman

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

I would like to download a free book and i'm looking for a safe and secure site to download from. Would appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Many public libraries have online catalogs. Then there is http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:24 AM

Hello defurman.

Have you used / tried the Overdrive app? The main link is right here and you can search for your local library right from that page.

Quite a few people from my local library use it and you can use it on a lot of devices.

Another app that they've been using is the Freading app, which can be downloaded here.

Note: you will most likely need to sign up for an Adobe account and download Adobe Digital Editions, version xx (which, I believe, is how they manage the Digital Rights side of lending these e-books) when and if you start using these e-book type of services.

Hope that helps.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

If you decide to have a look at what your local library service has on offer, the best thing to do is to go and have chat with them. If you don't already have a library card you will certainly need to join the library.

You will also need to check if their reading app will work on your hardware - not all the different apps different libraries use work on all platforms, strange but true. And their 'lending' terms vary a lot. My local system allows so many books at once, but they are each for a fixed term, either 21 or 28 days. You cannot 'return' them before the end of this period. The County next door allows you fewer books at once, but lets you 'return' them when you have read them and then borrow more.

Also of course, there are places like Amazon who have a proportion of free books, and the publishers themselves sometimes offer older books for free - Baen Books is a very good example - in the expectation that you will return to buy the author's newer works. Seems to work for Baen.

I even found a CD in the back of one of Baen's books (a real dead tree book) in my local library containing about 50 of their books and the terms of use were 'Freely copyable for personal use'.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users