Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with installing updates after upgrade to 8.1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ataxia

Ataxia

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

after using windows update troubleshooter get the following message.#1...problem installing recent updates # 2. Check for missing or corrupt files.# 3. Service registration is missing or corrupt.# 4. Windows Update error 0x80070057  Says I have never checked for updates.  but some updates have installed but one keeps coming back "Definition Update for Windows Defender-KB2267602(Definition1.173.2187.0) installed 5 times says successfully installed but does not show up installed update history #5 Some security settings are missing or have been changed. When I run trouble shooter says #1 unable to fix #2 Detected #3 Fixed #4 Fixed.#5 Fixed.  Yet they are all there when I run troubleshooter every time. Do not know if this is related but have not had any update in app store since upgrade.Have also run CMD as administrator ran sfc  / scan now says no integrity problems found  Have run CC Cleaner, Farbar mini-tool kit.  sytem is windows 64 Explorer 11 Also having problem with not all parts of Windows  of I.E. showing on browser window but shows up on desktop fine. also ran windows all in one repair, Ran FRST64.exe FSS.exe,.  JRT exe.,  mbar ,.OTL exe,. rkill., TFC exe, Security Check.  Support-LogMeinRescue.exe, iExplorer.exe.,.At the behest of othe Techs. Am a novice so need step by step instructions.  When I upgrade 8.1 didn't know if I should do anything about the windows 8 which came on computer.Last tech said to start a new thread was not an expert on what was wrong.Have had a few updates install and then yesterday had 13 updates show up and install but still get error message and the Defender update is back.  Hope someone is able to fix.  I'm concerned I have made problem worse  Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:33 AM

Here is the progression for a Win 8 machine.

1. Install the Upgrade to Windows 8.1

2. Now install the Windows 8.1 Update

Note that they are different... you Upgrade,,, and then you Update.

Here is some info... http://www.gizmag.com/upgrade-windows-8--to-windows-81/29394/ .

...and here... http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/6254-how-to-install-windows-8-1-update.html .

#3 Ataxia

Ataxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

I have done both the update & upgrade.  The problem is not with  that update but with the  daily & weekly updates  

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

Hi,

Have you done any scans to confirm that the hardware and software are not compromised? CHKDSK /R from the command prompt to make sure that the hard drive is holding everything you're placing on it. A security scan with an antivirus to be sure there's no infection.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 Ataxia

Ataxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:00 PM

Ran CHKDSK/R and got following The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.  Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)  I said yes said would check with restart.. Restarted and tried it a couple times nothing happened.  I'm a novice at computers.  Also have had other Tech have me run virus scan nothing found.  I think the problem occured when installing 8.1 didn't know to take security off first. Would it be possible to uninstall 8.1  update & Upgrade & redo.  What would be affected..Thanks for your help

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

Hi,

Anything is possible. what was the opereating system to start with and how did you do the upgrade to windows 8 and / or 8.1?

Keep us posted

Edited by dicke, 19 May 2014 - 06:47 AM.

Dick E

#7 Ataxia

Ataxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

How I got it originally was I downloaded the 8.1 upgrade app and got the update by automatic update. So what do I do now. Is there some way you can help me. Still have same problem so I'm not sure what I'm suppose to post about. I mean what happens if I uninstall & install what will I lose?  Did I miss something did I not do something you said?  Thank You

Edited by Ataxia, 19 May 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

Hi,

Do you have your important files backed up or someplace else so they aren't lost if you do some major changes to the system?

Have you tried using the System File Checker?

At the command prompt type in sfc /scannow [there is a space between the c and the /

let it run to the end and report back

Thanks

Dick E

#9 Ataxia

Ataxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>                                                     

Edited by Ataxia, 20 May 2014 - 06:02 AM.

#10 Ataxia

Ataxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:57 AM

Windows error code 0x80070490 Potential Windows update database error detected Windows update components must be repaired  There was a problem checking for updates errors found code 8024A000  Most recent  check for updates... never.  Updates were installed ,,, never. Problems installing recent updates not fixed.  Check for missing or corrupt files - detected.windows update error 0x8007057 fixed. will say fixed but get these same messages each and every time run troubleshooter.View update history and it says you have not tried to install any updates for your computer.When I check under installed  says I have 81 updates installed shows one on 5/2/2014 one on 5/6/2014 and 14 on 5/13/ 2014 Have had Definition update for Defender 5 days or more in a row install it says successful but doesn't appear as installed update. Don't know if any of this is helpful or not. ..The computer is about 7 months old, was originally a windows 8 did free upgrade from Microsoft to 8.1 and got update on 8.1 automatically.. 

Edited by Ataxia, 20 May 2014 - 06:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users