Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeated Freeze after 10 min of computer use followed by Blue Screen and Restart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JF - Vermont

JF - Vermont

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

It has happily been a few years since I've needed help from this forum, but here I am again...

The problem: starting yesterday, my laptop started freezing up (all apps/buttons frozen, mouse cursor/arrow can move but no functionality with clicking, no response from cntrl-alt-delete) followed by the dreaded Blue Screen flashing (too fast to read all the info) and the computer restarts. Starting normally incurs the same problem (fine for 10ish minutes then crash and restart). Crash does not seems related to running a particular program as it has happened while using different programs are just the desktop. Starting in safe mode with networking (using as we speak) seems to be ok.

I ran a cleaner/fix-it utility (cc-cleaner) but still have the same problem.

This seems to have started after installing the recommended automatic windows updates for my pc yesterday, but I'm not actually certain of the correlation. Computer is also just getting old...

How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

- JF

Windows Vista Home Premium - Service Pack 2 (auto updates)

HP Pavilion DV5 laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

64 bit

4GB RAM

AVG 2014 (free) with auto updates and Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Please upload the Minidumps located in %Windows%/Minidumps. You will have to put them in a zip folder to upload them.

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Do this so that you can read the blue screen next time: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/arestartvista.htm

#4 JF - Vermont

JF - Vermont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for the help.

There is nothing in the minidumps folder. Maybe this file was erased when I ran cc-cleaner?

In any case, the computer is still going through its freeze cycle, but is now just freezing (cursor moves, but nothing else), and is not rebooting (no blue screen) automatically. I just did a long press of the power button after an hour to turn it off. Then ran a chkdsk, but chkdsk gets stuck 2/3 of the way through Stage 5. I ran it 3 times. Got stuck in the same place all 3 times. Had to power off with the long power button press each time.

I have disabled the auto restart after blue screen, so I'm ready in case of the next BSOD.

What next?

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:11 AM

Please backup your files immediately before running the chkdsk repair option. If Windows becomes unbootable see this 2 page Linux tutorial on how to create a bootable disc and copy your files externally. The problem might be emanating from a hard drive sector(s) becoming unreadable.

Tekken

#6 JF - Vermont

JF - Vermont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

Backed up files onto external HD. Ran Chkdsk with the fix-it option. It fixed some stuff. Computer seems to be doing OK now. Keeping fingers crossed...

Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users