Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Pc Is totally Messed Up-Where to Begin?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mjoker73

mjoker73

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

tO BE HONEST I DON'T KNOW TO EVEN BEGIN ON MY pc... this PC WAS THROWN OUT AND I REFUSED TO LET GO TO WASTE.. I HONEST BELIEVE IT HAS POTENTIAL BUT WITH THE RIGHT TECH... OBVIOUSLY I AIN'T ONE TO BE SAVY IN COMPUTERS ONLY GREASE MONKEY TOOLS..i WOULD LIKE HELP ON WHERE TO START ON HOW TO DIAGNOSE THE SYSTEM TO GET AND ACTUAL REPORT ON WHERE TO START,,.. its drivers work but Driver D: needs to free space... security issues, download issue, error issues, flash drive issues, I'm sure for you guysit's probably easy..."The basic essentials.... But for me it's like trying to build a spaceship to the moon!! Plz help this grease monkey....

I have issues with my pc, from drivers and all sorts of stuff. I even tried to boot and no luck, and I'm being charged an arm and leg trying to get this working right to give to my son.. This pc I picked up from a person throwing it away ,it has potential all I need is the mechanical knowledge.

I'm using a hp dv6-1355dx entertainment notebook; Windows 7 home premium ( 64 bit) But its been rebooted and indicates it's running 32 bit," I'm confused"...What I understand that its a hardware and software issue's..I was looking into upgrade to windows 7..i AM NOT EVEN SURE WHAT IT IS 32 OR 64 BIT.. Thank you for your concern"

hp dv6-1355dx enterainment Notebook.. Windows 7 Home Premium 964-bit

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 May 2014 - 10:35 AM.
edited topic title for language. merged other topic into this one

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MysteryMac

MysteryMac

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

mjoker79,

We understand that being unfamilar with computers can be frustrating, but hang around here long enough and you will become a pro!.

Now to your issue. I don't really understand what you are asking. Is this a PC that someone gave you and you want to get working, or is it your old one you want to start over with? Is there anything on the laptop that you want to save? Do you have the original CD/DVD's that came with the computer? Once we can get a little more info we could probably help you better.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

Here's how to fix it...

:step1: Download Magic Jellybean and run it on the machine to retrieve the Windows key. Write this down very carefully, double check it. If you lose it you have lost your Windows. Note: This step may not be necessary, as older machines normally have this key printed on a sticker on the underside If this is so on your machine check that it has not rubbed off and is still legible.

:step2: Download the correct Win 7 installation ISO from here, burn to disk (create a disk with it), and install it . This will ERASE ALL the data from the machine, and start you from scratch.

:step3: Download all of the system drivers from here, install them all one by one, starting with the chipset driver.

:step4: Download and install all Win updates (yes there is a hell of a lot of them), and install a nice anti-virus. (BitDefender free is pretty good).

:step5: Create a 'System Image' set of disks... so you will never have to do all of this again.

Assuming there are no hardware problems, you should be able to enjoy your "new" machine.

Good luck

:busy:

edit: if you need more specific instructions on particular steps feel free to ask, happy to help. :thumbsup2: (though most steps will be straight forward, just use Google)

Edited by TsVk!, 14 May 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

I find it difficult...to diagnose a system which I can't see and have no idea whether the hardware is compromised or not.  So...let's begin with some data.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

Is Drive D the recovery drive? If it is, you don't need to be doing anything with that. That's what will allow you to restore the system to factory defaults (aka reinstalling Windows). You can check by going to My Computer. It it's there it will say RECOVERY.

As for where to start, how about the beginning? Reinstall Windows and see if the computer will then work. If D is the recovery drive use that. Doing so will also install all drivers along with all the bloatware that was on it when it was taken out of the box. You can uninstall the bloatware later if you want to.

To access the recovery partition repeatedly press f11 as the computer boots.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 May 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#6 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

Hello!! You can find lots of information about your notebook here. Read the user guild and restore back to factory like Queen-Evie suggested.

That would be the easiest way.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4043282&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01854060.pdf

Edited by donetao, 15 May 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

I forgot to say that if the system belonged to someone else a recovery is the best way to go. Get rid of all things associated with the former owner. Make it your own.

Also, by using the recovery partition you should not be asked for the Windows key. However, just to cover all bases do as suggested by TsVk and get the key before you start the recovery process. Or you could look on the bottom of the laptop to see if there is a sticker with the key.

If after reinstalling Windows by whatever method you choose the laptop does not work and you have tried other things also you can conclude that there was a good reason it was thrown away.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 May 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#8 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

I see a few different suggestions, but I will have to agree with queens. The recovery partition is the best place to start first and reset the pc back to factory settings if that is a possibility.  Once that is done, if you are still having the strange issues, I would then suggest checking the hardware on it, but why waste time running extra tests if you are going to wipe it anyway? Give the recovery a try, and post the results.

Edited by jkostar, 15 May 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

If a recovery does not work, then you can investigate hardware. Then you have to decide if it's worth trying fix, which would take time and money.

In the event it is hardware or something you don't want to invest time and money into fixing, consider finding an organization which will fix it and donate it to someone who needs a computer. (children in school, senior citizens groups, etc).

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

Using the recovery partition is not the same as a fresh Windows installation which requires activation, so you will not need the product key.

HP usually designates the recovery partition to be the D: drive, normally the C: drive will have the operating system, Windows 7 in this case.  The HP recovery partition with Windows 7 64-bit is reported to be 11.70GB, does that sound like your D: drive?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users