Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabled processes, now can no longer run Win32 application

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Hi,

I recently disabled several processes in XP on my laptop to speed it up. Everything seemed fine and it's running much faster than before, until I went to install something.

http://www.synaptics.com/en/drivers.php

I downloaded and unzipped the generic driver at the top of the list (foot of the page) which says it's for XP 32 bit, but when I try to run it I get the error message ''Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.''

I'm pretty sure that I must have disabled whatever process is required to run such applications, and attach a screenshot of the running processes in Task Manager in the hope that someone will be able to tell me which process I should turn back on again, so that I can install this software.

screenshotxp_zps6943ed04.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tabvla

Tabvla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

I know that this may sound obvious...... but have you tried a "cold" start ?

A "cold" start is when you shut the computer down completely.  Remove the power source (for a PC remove the plug from the wall socket, for a laptop remove the battery).  Go make yourself a cup of coffee or tea or whatever.  Take a walk around the garden.  Listen to the birds.  Smell the roses.......  Then return the power source, restart and login as the Administrator.

Now recheck the Processes.

T.

#3 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

I haven't tried that, but what difference would that make?

The only enabled accounts on this laptop are administrator accounts, and I had no problem installing anything before I disabled a bunch of processes.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

The only enabled accounts on this laptop are administrator accounts, and I had no problem installing anything before I disabled a bunch of processes.

Sometimes it works, othertimes it doesn't.

Really nothing to lose, as you can be doing other things while waiting a few minutes. If that doesn't work, try System Restore, or press F8 at boot, like going into Safe Mode, instead select "Last Known Good Configuration" & press Enter. Upon reboot, this can revert the computer to the prior working settings.

It's best when disabling processes to do so one at a time, this makes it much easier to reverse if needed. Plus this fine tunes the unneeded item to one, ramdomly disabling a lot can cause a wide variety of troubles. Those processes are there for a reason, not randomly generated & Windows + your installed apps needs them to operate smoothly.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

Here are several services seen running in my Task Manager that I don't see in yours:

alg.exe

ctfmon.exe
dllhost.exe
msdtc.exe
services.exe

They are harmless to run.  I believe you can start any of them this way:

Open Task Manger->From the menu select File->New Task->type in the name of the process you would like to start (i.e alg.exe).  if the problem isn't fixed move on to the next one to see if it solves the problem.

Once you have identified the one that is the problem, assuming it's one of these, I'll pass on the name of the service in services, and explain how to set it to run automatically on boot...

If any of these, bet's on dllhost.exe... :unsure:

#6 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for the list.

I went into Services and enabled Application Layer Gateway again, and alg.exe appeared in Task Manager, but that didn't make any difference so I disabled it again.

As far as I can tell ctfmon.exe is solely concerned with Microsoft Office, which I have installed on this pc but only use occasionally, and as it seems to work fine without it I left it disabled.

Services.exe is in the screenshot in the OP.

I tried starting dllhost.exe and mscdt.exe by the method you suggested, but only mscdt.exe started. So I went back into Services and set something to do with ''COM'' to automatic that I had previously set to manual, and after restarting the pc dllhost.exe started again as well.

Even with all of these processes running, I got the same result when I tried to run Setup for this software, so I'm beginning to think that perhaps the software is the problem. All I want it for is to disable tapping on the touchpad on this laptop in XP (there is no option to do so in the mouse settings in the Control Panel, and no specific touchpad settings in the Control Panel at all)

Since posting the OP I have also disabled jqs.exe, which just looks for java updates, and instead set it to run once a month as a Scheduled Task.

So this is what I have running now:

untitled_zps4a1e16ec.jpg

#7 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

Sometimes it works, othertimes it doesn't.

Really nothing to lose, as you can be doing other things while waiting a few minutes. If that doesn't work, try System Restore, or press F8 at boot, like going into Safe Mode, instead select "Last Known Good Configuration" & press Enter. Upon reboot, this can revert the computer to the prior working settings.

It's best when disabling processes to do so one at a time, this makes it much easier to reverse if needed. Plus this fine tunes the unneeded item to one, ramdomly disabling a lot can cause a wide variety of troubles. Those processes are there for a reason, not randomly generated & Windows + your installed apps needs them to operate smoothly.

Cat

I had never thought for a minute that these processes are generated randomly; nor did I disable them randomly; but they are there for various reasons and applications, many of which I have no need for.

So what I am trying to achieve, is to not have processes running that I have no need for,

Edited by Al1000, 23 May 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:08 PM

You can go advanced if desired, but it's best & safer to stick with disabling Windows apps that's not needed at Startup from loading. Disabling the wrong things, as you already see, harms more tham helps.

Such as webcam software, burning suites, backup/partitioning software, media players/suites, wi-fi or Ethernet software that's not used & others. There's lots of safe things to disable (non-Microsoft services) that will net better performance & shorter boot times that most of us has installed. However, one really must know what they're doing to disable Windows/MS services.

Shorter boot times can also be achieved via the msconfig panel, the default is 30 seconds, this can be reduced to 10 safely. Plus if there's a dual core CPU, the number of processors at startup can be increased to the number of cores available & RAM can be bumped up to the max on hand. These helps also, but not as much on today's Windows OS's. Those running Vista or below can see real improvements with this group of changes. Those running Windows 7 & above will see little change, except for the changing from 30 seconds to 10 (or 5 with a fast SSD).

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

cat1092...

Shorter boot times can also be achieved via the msconfig panel, the default is 30 seconds, this can be reduced to 10 safely. Plus if there's a dual core CPU, the number of processors at startup can be increased to the number of cores available & RAM can be bumped up to the max on hand. These helps also, but not as much on today's Windows OS's. Those running Vista or below can see real improvements with this group of changes. Those running Windows 7 & above will see little change, except for the changing from 30 seconds to 10 (or 5 with a fast SSD).

Thanks for this.  First boot after changing the Timeout to 10 seconds seems to have helped. Here is some more information I found here about using Windows prefetch only for boot programs:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster

About halfway down the page can be found the process for changing Windows prefetch to a boot function only.  System seems to be responding a good bit better to this way of doing things...

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

UpgradeMe, will have to try out that tutorial on my final XP computer, in addition to the other one you posted. Though I don't use it daily, it is the one that I carry with me for when awaiting an auto repair, whatever, where there is Internet access & wi-fi available. However, I don't make transactions with it (or any version of Windows) & when I visit forums, I change the password when I get back home as a safety measure. 

Thanks for keeping the XP community updated on these things, looking forward to more tips from you! 

Cat

#11 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

You can go advanced if desired, but it's best & safer to stick with disabling Windows apps that's not needed at Startup from loading. Disabling the wrong things, as you already see, harms more tham helps.

Such as webcam software, burning suites, backup/partitioning software, media players/suites, wi-fi or Ethernet software that's not used & others. There's lots of safe things to disable (non-Microsoft services) that will net better performance & shorter boot times that most of us has installed. However, one really must know what they're doing to disable Windows/MS services.

Cat

I'm not sure that it's caused any problems at all. I installed the free version of Avast at the weekend, partly to see if it would install, and it went without a hitch. So far, the only problem is with this Synaptics software, so it could very well be the problem. Although dllhost.exe does seem important, so I'm glad I turned it back on.

I had already reduced the default boot time to 3 seconds, and it works just fine set at that.

One of the first things I do when I install XP, is disable file and printer sharing services in Network Connections, and I would advise anyone else who uses their computer as a stand-alone to do the same. Here are some other services that can safely be disabled for more speed and/or security.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1036/windows-xp-list-of-services-to-disable-to-increase-speed/

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

Al1000. thanks for the article! Some XP users will find it to be very useful.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users