Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista home premium many problems

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

I have my sons computer here, it's a compaq presario with vista home premium SP2, 3GB memory, he was having problems so he let a friend (who is no longer around) try to clean it up, well now it's really messed up, she set herself up as the administrator and only user, now it is giving a lot of blue screens and it will not let me run any updates, there are a lot of services turned off and whe I try to enable them, I get the message that permission is denied, I started it in safe mode and added a new account for myself and as administrator but it still wont let me change anything.

When I boot it up the login shows both of us but when I open users in control panel it only shows her and not me, the name on the account is tinaisfree2 and according to windows these are problem files.

C:\windows\minidump\mini051414-01.dmp

C:\users\tinaisfree2\appdata\local\temp\wer-41355-0.sysdata.xml

C:\users\tinaisfree2\appdata\locla\temp\wer36f7.temp.version.txt

This is the first encounter with vista if someone could give me a clue as to what I need to do here in order to get needed updates and get an antivirus installed, my son had Avast but it expired, also I should tell you that the Ccleaner program is on it and when I opened it up to see what was checked, all the boxes in the registry section were checked.

Would really appreciate some help, it has a drive image on D but I'm not sure if that would work since it seems she has the machine locked somehow..

Thank you

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

The first thing I would suggest would be to do a System Restore.  Choose a restore point prior to the "friend's" attempt at clean it up.

Click on Start, then All Programs, Accessories, System Tools.

Click on the System Restore icon, choose the restore point and follow the prompts.

After you have done this we will see what needs to be done to get the computer running better.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

Thank you, will try that and let you know.

Well that didn't work, it won't open the program.

Edited by Moe_P, 15 May 2014 - 12:04 PM.

Moe_P

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

I'll be in and out most of the day, but I check occasionally for updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

Been waiting 20 Min., won't open system restore.

Moe_P

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

What is the model of this Presario?

I'm going to be in and out of the house for the next hour or so.  It's going to be close to 100 today, it's time to get the cooler going which is going to involve a repair.

#7 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Model # is SR5710Y

Well I started it in safe mode and got system restore to open, all the restore points are windows update, the most recent is 2/12/2014 then it goes back to 12/16/2013, the most recent is to late and it says that going back over 60 day's is not reliable, also when I click on a restore point, the page comes up with both drives, C and D, the C box is checked ans says it is ready to restore, the D box is not checked but it says "you must enable system protection on this drive"

Does system restore work in safe mode ?? I have never tried it.

Edited by Moe_P, 15 May 2014 - 02:52 PM.

Moe_P

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Yes, you should be able to use System Restore in Safe Mode.

Try the 2/12/2014 restore point.

Do you have the recovery disc for this computer?

Click on Start, then click on Control Panel in the Startup menu.  When the Control Panel opens click on User Accounts.  When this opens try creating another administrator account for yourself.

#9 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

No there is no recovery disk, there is a partition D with a disk image to restore back to factory original.

I have already set up another account for myself and set as administrator but it won't let me do anything in there either and will not accept an internet connection.

I was looking in security and it shows this person as owner and user > \\tina is free2-pc, which looks to like a remote connection from another computer.

Will try the restore point you suggested and let you know what happens.

Moe_P

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

I have to run into town, but will be back in about an hour.

#11 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

The system restore didn't work, it would not take that one, it ran again and started but it's back to where it was before I set up myself as a user/administrator.

Edited by Moe_P, 16 May 2014 - 12:54 PM.

Moe_P

#12 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

I just restarted in safe mode and checked user accounts, don't know if this means anything but this is what's listed.

1) ADMIN        (This is the one that let's me log on)            2) ASP.NET mACHINE ACCOUNT

ADMINISTRATOR                                                               Standard user

Password protected

Moe_P

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

Try deleting the #2 user account.

#14 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

could that possibly stop the computer from working?? I'm worried about not being able to boot it.

ok, I deleted that user and it booted up.

Edited by Moe_P, 16 May 2014 - 03:49 PM.

Moe_P

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

There is a default Administrator user account which can only be seen using a specific in the elevated command prompt.  Then you have your user account.  So no, this should not effect startup after deleting the account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users