Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD card suddenly stops

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RedRay

RedRay

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:58 AM

Hey,  I was just transferring some of my anime to my android phone.  Before disconnecting, I always safely remove device first.  It was all normal until I was going to watch the anime I had transferred and I saw that my external sd card was not being detected by my android device.  I tried removing the putting it back but it didn't work.  I also restarted my phone and it didn't work either.  I transferred the sd card into my android tablet and it wasn't recognized.  I have 2 sd cards one is the 32gb and the other 8gb.  The 32gb one didn't work on both devices, but the 8gb one worked fine on android tablet, but my android phone said that the sd card was damaged.  Here's a bit of info about my phone.

Model: Samsung Galaxy S Player

Model Number: YP-G70

Firmware version:2.2.2

Kernel version: 2.6.32.9

Build number: FROYO.DXKF4

Sd card info:

-32 gigabytes

-cd-r-king brand(websitehttp://www.cdrking.com/

Heres a direct link to the product http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=15617&main=43#.U3RxiIGSySo

Is my sd card going to the dump or is there still a chance to save it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Hi RedRay,

I can't say for sure one way or the other if your SD card is toast or not but I can say that it's like a rechargeable battery. This is because it will die eventually after so many reads/writes and, usually, the better the quality the longer it will last.

It sound slike you already follower the safer path of ejecting the card rather than just removing it on the fly so that will help. I've also found that Linux will sometimes be able to format or fix things that a Windows systems won't. But as Android is basically a Linux spin-off that's probably not going to help.

Unless you need the data on the card I would look at formating if you have a computer system that can detect it. If nothing you have can detect or see the card then you're out of resonable options. (You can try cleaning the contacts or opening it up and looking for fried parts but I've only been successful twice doing this as there isn't much you can fix or replace. I've had better luch with USB sticks.)

Ensure to backup whatever is on the card. I tend to do monthly backups to my PC...okay...when I remember, so the lose of the card isn't as bad as it could be.

I don't recall seeing any programs to help recover a card or it's data like you would for a hard drive but search your favourite engine for tools. Here is a link that covers why a lot of cards fail and what options you might have. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=367912

I wouldn't bother buying any application to try and fix this as it probably won't help and if you could see the card other options would work for free.

Try to get name brand cards on sale over noname ones as I find they last much longer and losing data sucks.

Best of luck,

Zen

#3 RedRay

RedRay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:10 AM

Its 1 year old so i guess its met its death.  Cdrking stuff doesn't really last long.  Anyway not much is important.  Its 95% downloaded videos(I'm sure I can get it back).  Ill maybe buy SanDisk next time.  If you can recommend a brand(and if I can find it) ill probably buy it.

#4 sajilv

sajilv

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

try format with pc, later you can your data back.

#5 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

I've picked up SanDisk and Kingston for the family, 16GB and 32GB, and none of the cards have failed yet in 3 years. I am forever moving, copying, and switching my cards...until I got the SGS4...to much of a pain to remove the case and back to remove the card.

Just see what's on sale at FutureShop, BestBuy, or Walmart...or Amazon if online is your only option.

Best of luck,

Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users