Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what part of my pc is dying? :(

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 texasmitch14

texasmitch14

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

So it all started the other day. My monitor started flashing different colors, then black and white bars and distorted colors would appear on my monitor. At first I thought it was a loose DVI cable, but after making sure it is connected good- I soon became very confused..

-When I right click my desktop I see the resolution is set at the wrong numbers, but have tried all my options and none seem to make it as big as my actual monitor.

-The colors are off when I start the boot up, ( the Windows screen is not the right colors, distorted colors ). also colors still distorted while computer is running. I can no longer change the resolution size from 640x480. It is now stuck at 640x480.

-I have also noticed it is NOT detecting my monitor name. When I right click my properties it would have the name off my monitor. I can NO longer see my detected monitor in my properties.

-I can also NO longer detect my graphics card driver. When I try to load my Nividia properties, it says the program froze and needs to be closed. I tried reinstalling the most recent driver, and that will NOT work.

I used AlienRespawn to restore my computer to "Factory Settings" at a date when I first got my computer. When Windows booted up, everything was back to the normal resolution, colors were fine, no distortion. So I thought the reformat worked- I started my Windows Updates. I finished all the "Important" ones. Then when it came to the "Optional" updates, it all started going bad again. My monitor started flickering colors and the resolution went bad. ( I noticed that in the optional updates was an update for my Graphics card). So I said ok, I restarted my computer, spammed F8, and loaded "Last Good Config". Instead of downloading the optional update, I went directly to the Nvidia website to download the latest driver. As soon as it installed, my monitor started scrambling and colors flickering.

I reformatted sevral times using the program "AlienRespawn", but I am still having issues!! NOW!, When I try to load a game, my computer just restarts(The game/program will not even load). When I launch any game from Steam, it just reboots. I also can't install a game Starcraft 2 for some reason.

So as of right now. I can't load any games. Can't download any of my latest drivers. My PC keeps crashing/restarting when I try to load a game.

Sorry for the long explanation. I don't know whats going on and/or what to replace :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mitch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

Your video card

#3 texasmitch14

texasmitch14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

Your video card

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking it was either my GPU or hard drive. After doing a bit more research I discovered this is in fact symptoms of a dying card.

Can I replace my GPU with any card I want? The only thing I need to make sure is it that in can fit on my motherboard inside my case, and my power supply is sufficient? Other then the size of the card, and PSU, can I get any card?

Edited by texasmitch14, 15 May 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Your motherboard needs to have the type of slot that the video card uses (presumably PCI-E x16). Your power supply needs to be sufficient yeah, and you need a connector from the power supply (or a power splitter adapter wire thing if your PSU doesn't have that connector) if the new video card needs power plugged into it (lower end cards don't need that). The card needs to physically fit in the computer, so, for example if you had a very small case, a giant gaming card might not fit because it would hit into the hard drives at the front when you try to put it in.

Also, if you have a lot of pci cards in your computer and/or very few slots, you may need to avoid the double-tall graphics cards since they take the space of the next card in the case.

Also, you want a card that has a proper driver for your operating system. A new card might not have a driver for XP, an old card might not have a driver for windows 8. Lots of cards don't have good driver support in linux.

And finally, you want a card that is fast enough for games you want to play.

You also have to look at the outs on the card and make sure it has what you need in case you want something specific like support for a certain number of monitors, or hdmi or whatever.

Edited by bludshot, 15 May 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#5 texasmitch14

texasmitch14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Your motherboard needs to have the type of slot that the video card uses (presumably PCI-E x16). Your power supply needs to be sufficient yeah, and you need a connector from the power supply (or a power splitter adapter wire thing if your PSU doesn't have that connector) if the new video card needs power plugged into it (lower end cards don't need that). The card needs to physically fit in the computer, so, for example if you had a very small case, a giant gaming card might not fit because it would hit into the hard drives at the front when you try to put it in.

Also, if you have a lot of pci cards in your computer and/or very few slots, you may need to avoid the double-tall graphics cards since they take the space of the next card in the case.

Also, you want a card that has a proper driver for your operating system. A new card might not have a driver for XP, an old card might not have a driver for windows 8. Lots of cards don't have good driver support in linux.

And finally, you want a card that is fast enough for games you want to play.

You also have to look at the outs on the card and make sure it has what you need in case you want something specific like support for a certain number of monitors, or hdmi or whatever.

Thanks for replying and suggestions! Guess I have to get a new card now :(

regards!!

#6 texasmitch14

texasmitch14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Your video card

Replaced the GFX card and everything is running nice and smooth :) Thank you so much for pin pointing the problem. I would have ended up buying a new hard drive at first, then new dvi cable or who knows what the heck I woulda done. I really apprecaite it.

I just really regret reformatting my computer about 12 times trying to figure out if it was some Windows Update or some GPU driver issue, lol. Live and learn!

This thread can be closed :D

Edited by texasmitch14, 16 May 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

Heh, 3 words could save 12 hours and $200. Good deal :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users