Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help please

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 lavtracy

lavtracy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

Hi have an ASUS laptop, maybe a note book very light.

I work away and have been there since September, the laptop used to work fine in the camp where I live... however the managers of the camp changed hands on March 11th and I have not been able to access the wifi since.. many other people had the same problem.. I can access using my phone but my laptop will not work... lots of people's laptops work fine but others have the same problem as mine.

The status shows logged on, but it doesn't give me the opportunity to put the password in, it wont open any webpages at all

Many people have looked at it and are baffled..

The laptop works fine when I go home to my own place and I can take it to my office and it works as well...

Someone logged their hotspot from their phone on to my laptop and it wouldn't work either, so its something to do with the wifi in the area where I am staying and my laptop.. lots of other people have no problems at all.. and my phone works perfectly

Baffled ..................... any suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:22 PM

Hello! Do you know who your ISP is?? Where is the wireless router located?? Who's paying for your wireless service?? Has the password been changed?? Have you checked with those that can log on to see what password they are using??

Edited by donetao, 14 May 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#3 lavtracy

lavtracy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:04 AM

Hi there ... I dont who who the ISP is ... The router is very close to my room... The owner of the camp pays for the service... Everyone gets their own password and i hv tried many my password works fine on my phone and the laptop does not even get to the point of asking for a password... Everyone has a different password ...

#4 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:14 AM

Is it possible for you to connect your laptop directly to the router via a LAN cable and see if it connects?

Did you try using a different browser?

**Disclaimer** : I am not an advanced user or moderator or officially authorized by bleepingcomputer, I am a computer passionate user and am only trying to help you out based on my knowledge and experience. Do not take any action based on my suggestions that your discretion advises against.

Edited by kunalthechamp, 15 May 2014 - 05:25 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Have you tried deleting and recreating the wireless connection on the laptop?

#6 lavtracy

lavtracy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

Hello - thanks for your replies - Kunalthechamp - I don't know how to do that with a LAN cable ... as mentioned someone connected my laptop to their hotspot it came up but wouldn't open any pages.

Kilroy - Do you mean like forget this network ??  Im not very tech savvy which is why I am asking as I have no idea

Thanks

#7 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:45 PM

Hello! I think you need to read this and understand how to connect to the internet!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/setting-wireless-network#1TC=windows-7

If your trying to connect to a secured network; you will need either the Key or the password.

If your trying to connect in a hot spot; you probably won't need the Key or password.

Hot spots are like a library and are not secured!!

Edited by donetao, 16 May 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#8 lavtracy

lavtracy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:41 AM

Well thank you very much ...; your a very funny man, if I had no idea how to use the internet I wouldn't be emailing you now .. or have a job.. or using the computer at all.. as per my enquiry the laptop worked fine until the owners of the camp left and new owners took over.. I am quite capable of logging on to the internet and doing many many tasks however some of us don't have the time to troll the net looking for people who are not tech heads .. and be a smart arse.. so thank you for your NON help and you can get back in your box and go an be a serial pest elsewhere ... get a life idiot !!!!

#9 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:51 AM

OK no problem!!

Good luck!!

#10 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:55 AM

lavtracy - couple of things:

1) The members here DO NOT get paid for any of their posts for helping other people or do they get any monetary (or other) gains of any sort

2) A member who has 178 posts (donetao) certainly has the least of intentions and no time to troll the net and be a smart arse.

3) He was very respectful of you, from your posts and replies it certainly feels like you are a complete beginner, I can be sure that he had every intention to work with you and to help you out.

All in all, if you cant be thankful, the least you can do is be respectful of the time and energy that people are spending in replying to your posts and trying to help you out. Anyways, I will try to put this aside and try to help you out.

You need to be really specific with what your issue is and try many different variables. The fact that your laptop does not open any pages could be due to many issues, the easiest that I can think of are redirection settings, outdated browsers, browser issues, viruses, incompatibility of the login page with your browser etc

What browser are you currently using? What is the version? What OS are you using?

I will again ask you to follow the following steps, one by one:

1) Try connecting your laptop directly to the router with a LAN cable

2) Forget the network and reconnect to it http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778180%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

3) Update your current browser/Download and install a new browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera or similar

Let me know how it goes

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#11 lavtracy

lavtracy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:03 AM

How do u call being a smart arse helpful ... That is not helpful at all ... Sounds like you are all the same ... His comment was bagging me by saying I dont know how to log on to the computer ... Dis you even read his comnent ...

#12 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:20 AM

No problem. Good Luck!

#13 lavtracy

lavtracy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:11 AM

Im going to need it with the egg head replies ... Change ur password ... Hello my post says it doesnt ask for a password... Update ur browser done it all google chrome firefox the lot I wouldnt be asking for help if the basics were not already done ... Connecting with the lan cable to the router again the problem not read properly I work in a camp site the router is not mine to connect too ... Its in the roof ... Why do people post here for egg heads to reply too ......

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

I think it's time to close this topic...you don't seem to be getting anywhere that a person who wants assistance should be...and there's no point in leaving a topic open where the OP seems to have such contempt for efforts to assist.

If you have any questions about my actions, please contact me via PM.

Topic closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users