Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2000 problem. Spacebar creates two spaces between words.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 emsyessy

emsyessy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hello -

OS is XP.  Word vs is 2000.  When I tap on the spacebar it creates two spaces between words instead of one.

This isn't a character spacing issue.  It's set to normal.  Example:

It should look like the top line but it types like the second line.

How are we working today?

How  are  we  working  today?

I have booted to no avail.  The template is Normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Does this only occur in Word, or does it happen whenever you type text, in Notepad for example ?

If it happens whenever you are typing text I would suspect a sticking space bar on the keyboard. If it only happens in Word, then it is a problem in Word. I am using 2003 and have had a look at the 'Options' and the 'Font' and 'Paragraph' format controls and can't see any obvious way to get it to do this - or not to do this.

It might be worth your while copying the normal template and saving the copy in a temporary folder somewhere, then have a look at the normal template. It is a file called 'Normal.dot' and is fairly important in Word, so if you mess it up having a copy means you can reinstate it to as it was. Since it is a template like any other, you can edit it and save the changes.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 emsyessy

emsyessy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, Chris.  And apologies for the slow response.  I was out of town for a few days.

It was only happening in Word.

One thing I had tried was to look at the template.  I didn't see anything wrong.  One of other the fixes I tried was to rename Normal.dot to NormalOri.dot, reboot, reinstantiate one session of Word to get it to create a Normal.dot.  This didn't work.  I just checked my email, found your response then fired up Word.  Word is working correctly now.  I'll mention that I've booted the machine twice since I've come back in town.  That's all.  I'm curious as to why Word hosed up and then"magically" fixed itself. 

I do appreciate your time and effort.  Well, "especially" appreciate would be better stated as you tried to help and the issue fixed itself.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

Glad it's sorted - even if neither of us knows how or why it got sorted !

This is the sort of thing that drives honest techs nuts !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 emsyessy

emsyessy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

It's doing it again, Chris.  I'm trying not to pull my thinning hair out.  Thanks for the empathy.  I don't want to take up any more of your time with this.  I do appreciate you input.  When I figure it out I'll post the fix.

THX

- Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users