Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank screen after boot - Window 8.1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hockeymidget8

hockeymidget8

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hello

I have a Hp Envy(m6) sleekbook running Window 8.1

Recently, I tried to perform a system restore to an earlier date. On my first attempt, it said that the recovery failed, and suggested that I try turning off my virus protection and trying again. I did this, and it still failed.

Next, I decided to try to reboot into safe mode and try the recovery again. However, when the laptop started again, the hp logo was briefly displayed as usual and I began tapping F8 to go into safe mode, but then the screen went blank and stayed that way. No mouse either. I waited a while but nothing happened.

I manually shut off the computer, waited a bit, and turned it on again, but the same thing happen.

I've been fiddling around with it and discovered a few things that may or may not be of use:

The caps lock key still lights up when I tap it

If I just tap the power key, so that it begins hibernating but does not turn off entirely, when I wake it again, the mouse is no visible and I can move it around.

I was wondering if it was a problem with the display, but I didn't have an external monitor, so I connected it with an hdmi cord to a tv... Same blank display there.

The backlight still turns off after a while of inactivity and turns back on when I move the mouse.

Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Can you tell us why you were trying to do a system restore?  Your previous problem may be connected to your current one. I agree that it's probably not your diplay, especially if you can see your cursor arrow, but can you see a small flashing line in the upper left corner of the screen?  This is generally an indication of a hardware problem.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#3 hockeymidget8

hockeymidget8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

Can you tell us why you were trying to do a system restore?  Your previous problem may be connected to your current one. I agree that it's probably not your diplay, especially if you can see your cursor arrow, but can you see a small flashing line in the upper left corner of the screen?  This is generally an indication of a hardware problem.

Fair question. If you must know, I was setting it back to a past date to see if I could get some extra time on a free trial software I have... I guess this is karma.

I don't see any flashing line.

I just tried taking the battery out and in, didn't fix it.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

Try loading bios defaults by press esc key at boot.

#5 hockeymidget8

hockeymidget8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

Try loading bios defaults by press esc key at boot.

Ok, pressing the esc key at boot gave me several options.

System Information
System Diagnostics
Boot device options
BIOS device options
System recovery optiona
Continue startup

Which one should I choose

#6 hockeymidget8

hockeymidget8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

Ok, so letting the laptop run out of battery and then plugging in the AC and booting up did the trick - it went into a system recovery mode where I was able to use system restore, which completed successfully this time.

#7 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

As most free trials go by your IP address or email address itisn't likely to work but who knows.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Sorry I didn't get back to you on that I had other work and urgent family issue's to deal with. Glad you fixed the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users