Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP software build ID number

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 apple.blossom

apple.blossom

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hello everyone,

Was wondering if I could get some assistance finding my software build number.

HP Probook 6540b, running Windows 7 64 bit.

The ctrl+alt+s  and fn+esc shortcuts do not do anything. I tried the Windows key+R as well, and I got the Windows build number, but what I need is the HP software build ID number. [Too easy to confuse the two...] I keep reading it should be printed on a sticker somewhere, but I can't seem to find an example of this number anywhere online, so I'm not 100% sure what exactly to look for.

If anyone can help me out with this, I'd appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

The build ID number for what piece of HP software?

The download page for the HP Probook 6540b will show you the large number of possible build versions for different pieces of software.

Why do you need the information?

From this page I'd say that there is some HP utility that must be installed.  Odds are this utility has either been uninstalled or the machine was loaded with a different software load (very common in a corporate environment).

In the Utility - Tools information section, from the top link in this post, at the bottom of the page is an HP Support Assistant (International) program, this is probably what you need for the CTRL+ALT+S application.

#3 apple.blossom

apple.blossom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

I'm looking for the number to see if it matches the recovery discs I have. I don't think it's for a specific piece of software, but rather is a number that is issued to each computer depending on the OS, the flavor of the OS, etc.

That ctrl+alt+s support page you sent was written for desktop computers, but mine is a notebook... do you think the information would still apply?

#4 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hello! Look in the battery compartment!!

#5 apple.blossom

apple.blossom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

Hey donetao, thanks for the tip! Though I'm still not sure what the number looks like, so I'm not sure how to find it/how to weed it out from all the other numbers and codes... Will it be labeled as "software build?" Or maybe as something else? Or will it just sort of be thrown in there for me to find, like an Eye Spy puzzle?

#6 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Hello! Try this!

You can find the W7 software build number by:

Start Button>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information.

Normally it is the second item listed.

#7 apple.blossom

apple.blossom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

Thanks donetao, but that is Windows build number. Haha I tried that too, it's not what I need... :(

The Windows build number is much more generic, the HP software build number is more personalized.

I really appreciate your help so far donetao!

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

I believe if you install HP Support Assistant you'll be able to do the CTRL+ALT+S to get what you're looking for.

#9 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

Hello! RKilroy has it right! See if this helps also!!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/Where-do-I-find-the-software-build-number-on-an-HP-Envy-dv7/td-p/3627946

#10 apple.blossom

apple.blossom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Kilroy, thank you for the help, but I can't download anything onto this computer. Also, I was really hoping to find this number externally [on a sticker, in the battery compartment, etc]. But no worries -  I'm starting to think this information is either kept very secret, or it varies a lot from computer to computer and it hasn't been documented anywhere, which makes it difficult to learn.

I saw a suggestion somewhere else to try booting into the BIOS and poke around in there a bit. It makes me nervous, but I'll give that a go probably later today. Will post back with results.

Cheers!

#11 apple.blossom

apple.blossom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

Searching through BIOS yielded no results.  : /

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:20 AM

Support Assistant won't help you. What you are looking for is not there.

However, should you ever need the Support Assistant it may already be installed. Start Menu/All Programs/HP Help and Support/Support Assistant.

If you don't have it and want it you may be able to install it without downloading anything.
Start Menu/All Programs/Security and Protection/Recovery Manager.

Recovery Manager should have a section for installing programs and drivers.

*note: what I listed as being in Start menu is what it says for my HP laptop. Yours should be the same or similar*

You might be able to get the information you want by posting in the HP help forum
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/supportforums.html

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 May 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#13 apple.blossom

apple.blossom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the response, Queen-Evie.

So, if the information I need can't be found in Support Assistant, do you know where it can be found?

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

I have no clue where it would be found.

#15 apple.blossom

apple.blossom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

That's ok. I've done some more research and reading and I'm pretty sure this isn't a feature that's been included on the HP notebooks. Sorry for the wild goose chase, everyone! Thanks for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users