Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen randomly goes black for random amount of time w/ small amt of fuzz

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wreck9967

wreck9967

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

2011 HP dv6t laptop

i7-2820QM processor

4 gigs of RAM

Radeon HD 6770m graphics

Starting yesterday, my screen will occasionally go black for variable amounts of time. Typically it will go black for one second, then back to normal for two or three, then black for about ten seconds, then back to normal for a while. However the screen isn't just black, there is also a little bit of RGB fuzz/noise on the left side of the screen. Typically it has occurred when just browsing with chrome or browsing the steam store, so it seems like it couldn't be anything being overworked...

Is this just some setting that's overloading, or is my graphics card starting to die, or is it some visible symptom of malware, or something completely different?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MysteryMac

MysteryMac

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

wreck9967,

Yeah it sounds like a video card issue. The solder connecting the gpu to the motherboard may not have a good connection. If the lapop at one point got hot enough it could cause some of those solder joints to go bad. i.e. if you are using a blanket and have the laptop on top of it. The blanket covers the vents and you do not notice. The laptop will get really hot.

I had something similar happen in my older mac book pro. I reflowed the solder on my motherboard and that fixed the issue. If the a fan is not working or works some of the time that could cause it to overheat. Without a fan it can overheat very easily.

#3 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

Hello ! You could check for heating problems with a program like SpeedFan. You also could hook up a another monitor;like your TV, to make sure it's not your laptop monitor.

#4 wreck9967

wreck9967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Heating shouldn't be an issue, my computer is always on a desk surface, sometimes even propped up as a slight angle for more airflow. I will try speedfan though to check.

Since I posted the issue, I've determined that it occurs mostly when browsing the internet, and occasionally when watching a movie in VLC. I'll see what SpeedFan finds out.

Edit:

Well bleep. I'm taking a guess that if SpeedFan displays a little flame symbol by your components, it isn't exactly a good thing. I'm reading around 56degC plus or minus two for everything except the hard drive (because it's a hybrid). Any ideas besides never ever using it on a soft surface?

Edited by wreck9967, 22 May 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#5 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hello! I'm reading the same thing, and I don't think I'm over heating. Here's a link where you care compare CPU temps.http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

You can (generally) check the maximum operating temperature range for your CPU directly...by using Google and using "your specific  processor, cpu-world" as the search string.

Example:  This system has an FX 8320 cpu, my search string is "FX 8320, cpu-world".  This brings me to a summary page for that CPU and the temperature range data can be scrolled to by anyone.

Louis

#7 wreck9967

wreck9967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

Ok well I'm seeing that an i7 2820qm has a max temp of 100degC, so I guess that knocks out heating issues.

Could it be a physical connection to the screen has started to get worn out? It's been three years so I don't see how a faulty connection to the GPU would have just now arisen...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users