Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 will not launch MS Office Powerpoint

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Newfie53

Newfie53

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

I have run into a quandry. I am responsible for maintaining a laptop that is owned by an Investor group. The laptop was used in sales previously. It is an HP 2000 running Windows 8.1. When attempting to launch MS Powerpoint 2013, the launch crashes. The machine has a fresh install of Avast! AV and Malwarebytes. Neither of them report any problems. I contacted MS Support and got a fellow on the line that tried to tell me that the machine was hacked based on error logs and the presense of service named csrss. I don't find anything when runnning rkill other than a statement that Windows Defender is not started. I have replaced Display Link per the Windows Support center to no avail. So, I don't think that there is a malware infection unless there is a undectable rootkit present. Any suggestions would be appreciated as to what to check on next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

have you looked at event viewer to see why it crashes?

#3 Newfie53

Newfie53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

Yes, the only error that is flagged states that the LiveComm.exe version 17.9600.20461 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. Apparently there is comm error, Am unsure where to proceed next.

#4 Newfie53

Newfie53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

I may have come to a resolution of the problem. I went into the control panel to Programs and Featrues, then selected the MS Office. Clicked Change, then Repair, followed by online repair. After that completed, PowerPoint finally launched. I'm rebooting the machine as I type this and it now works. This is resolved.

#5 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

thats what i was going to mention to you next but you beat me to it. Good job!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users