Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping then crashing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lostcloud

lostcloud

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

My desktop has been acting weird. It started beeping during start up (10 beeps) and it sounds like everything is running just fine but the screen stays black. Sometimes it will actually let me sign into Windows, only to crash a few hours later. When it did work I tried to leave it on for a few days, but it crashed day 4. Last night I tried to see if it was the video card, took it out, cleaned it. I turned the computer on w/out the video card, but it still did the beeping thing.

I tried to do a Memtest, but everything it would crash during the memtest. Next I tried the memory sticks, I have 3 sticks, and I removed 1 stick one at a time. I have a triple channel, but I think it still should work even only with 2 sticks of memory in. When I did this, the computer would get to the windows logo, then crash. So I put all 3 sticks back in, but it still crashed during startup, but at least the beeping has stopped. 

Any help, recommendations, etc would be greatly appreciated...I did not major in computers, engineering, nor do I have a career in this field...I know basically nothing about hardware (everything I learned I researched myself). Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MysteryMac

MysteryMac

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

lostcloud,

What is the make and model of your computer? You can lookup the number of beeps and what they mean. Even if you have triple channel memory you can still run the computer with 1 or two sticks, you just need to make sure they are in the right slot configuration. Have you tried running your computer with one stick of ram and seeing if it will crash with a particular stick?

#3 lostcloud

lostcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

Thank you for the suggestion!

I know that I am using a the Asrock x58 and I've noticed that it will show 00 after the beeping = 00 System configuration is displayed. Going to give control to INT 19h boot loader.

The memory were in the right slots (the white ones) and no, I didn't try with just one stick of ram, I will try that tonight when I go home. In the meantime, I found that some other people were having similar issues to the one I'm having and they suggested to unplug the USB pins from the motherboard, due to poorly connected pins. Could this be a potential reason?

#4 MysteryMac

MysteryMac

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

It is a good when you are troubleshooting to remove all unnessary devices from the computer besides the keyboard and mouse. For example if you have a printer, usb microphone, etc. plugged in.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Ten beeps means that there has been a CMOS shutdown register read/write error. This beep code is usually caused by a hardware issue with the AMI BIOS chip. A motherboard replacement will usually solve this problem, although it could be caused by a damaged expansion card in rare situations...

Feel free to disconnect all hardware and wires (except RAM) from your mobo and power it up to confirm...

#6 lostcloud

lostcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

So I've been trying to test the memory and it seems like having 2 sticks in there has been working for now. Not sure if this means I had 1 that is bad or if its the motherboard...

#7 MysteryMac

MysteryMac

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

lostcloud,

Put just the stick of memory in the computer that you took out and see if the problem reoccurs. That should give you a pretty good idea.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

This really sounds like one of the memory stick connectors on the MOBO has failed or become cracked and intermittent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users