Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer problems (who knew)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 broncosfan

broncosfan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

Hello everyone - 

I am trying to fix my grandpa's computer.  It is a HP Pavilion Media Center a1632x Desktop PC.   I believe he had a virus on it because it literally would not let you do anything but play solitaire.  Error messages when you tried to open the internet, error messages when you tried to set the computer back to a different date, error messages when you tried to delete, add or change any system files.  

So after a few hours trying to remedy, no luck finding any kind of application recovery or recovery cd I saved all personal files and reformatted the hard drive and put windows xp back on.   It must be an outdated version or a version that came out before his computer did.  (I don't know this is all speculation)  It still won't connect to the internet.  Network driver not installed maybe?  I don't really know.  I'm not a computer guy.   

He has DSL through verizon and the lights on the modem seem just fine.  I can't access the modem though.  It is a Westell G90 - 610045 - 20  It says there is no internet connection to be found and error messages.  The computer used to get on the internet just fine prior to this melt down about a month ago.  

Sorry if this is a sporatic email.  I am learning as I go on this.  I can provide more details if it helps clear the air to hone in on the issue too.  

Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

have you tried repair computer via through F8 when starting the machine

#3 broncosfan

broncosfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

No.  It boots and runs windows just fine.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

When looking at Device Manager, are there any yellow exclamation marks next to Network Adapters?

#5 broncosfan

broncosfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yes there are exclamation marks next to them.  

#6 broncosfan

broncosfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

I found this page but I tried a few things on it.  Not really sure exactly what I would need though.  

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3292436

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

Under Drivers > Other you will need to download and install the Nvidia LAN driver.

#8 broncosfan

broncosfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

I tried to install the driver but it says it could not locate the software for the driver.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Did you read the system requirements for the driver installation?

You must install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 on the system before installing these drivers.

What service pack, if any, is currently installed?

If not XP Service Pack 2 that could be the reason the driver will not install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users