Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Notebook extremely slow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 marberbc

marberbc

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Hi all, I don't know too much about computers, and now I find myself helping a friend who knows even 

less than I do. She has a hand-me-down HP Notebook running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. It is very 

slow Online and off line.

I've downloaded and ran
Malwarebytes - finding 38 items - deleted
AdwCleaner - 4 items - quarantined
CCleaner
Avast Free - found the 4 items quarantined in AdwCleaner - deleted

Went to Programs and uninstalled a couple of very obviously unnecessary programs.
Was tempted to uninstall all the Java things there and then reinstall anew, but didn't know if that'd be 

wise or if a reinstall would be free.
I ran Defraggler. The notebook was 17% fragmented to begin with. After about 3 days, Defraggler 

completed-- leaving it 11% fragmented.                     

Ran disk cleaner.

I found that Windows Firewall was disabled and am unable to enable it.
Also Windows Security Center Service is turned off and cannot be started. I don't even know what it is.
I turned off Windows Defender after installing Avast Free.

I considered turning some things off in Start Up, but don't know what's what, so left it alone.

I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks.
marber

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Your Speccy shows two antivirus programs running, avast! and Mcafee. I would uninstall Mcafee. Your Java is out of date. Uninstall that. I would not bother installing Java until you get a notice it is required.

Edit: It should not take 3 days to defrag a hard drive. Do you know if Windows 7 was orginally on the computer. There is the option of doing a factory reset after backing up any important data.

Windows Security Center Service is turned off and cannot be started  - The Security Center would tell you if you have Automatic Updates enabled or if the Firewall and Antivirus are active. It's very possible you are still infected by Malware.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 May 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#3 marberbc

marberbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

JohnC,

Thanks for your response. I thought I had ran the Mcafee uninstall tool, but obviously not. I have now. I also uninstalled Java.

Yes, Windows 7 is original to the computer. As to doing a factory reset--what is involved? This is a hand-me-down notebook, so there's no personal/important data to be saved. 

Any additional advice from anyone? It takes 50 seconds or more for a browser to show, IE or Chrome. About 20 seconds for ''my documents'' and other off line stuff.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

The recovery partition has to be available on the computer. You can open Disk Managment and verify if you see a partiiton marked Recovery or something similar. Turn off the computer. When the computer first boots tap F11 until you see the Recovery Manager Window. You may also be able to do the restore within Windows itself.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867418&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

#5 marberbc

marberbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

But after doing a ''factory reset'' -- are there years of updates to download from Microsoft and elsewhere?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

Depending on when the computer was manufactured, yes. There could be quite a few updates. You could install a few at a time. It should not take too long if you have a decent internet connection.

Edit: you would not have to worry about driver updates. Those should work after the reset.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 May 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:46 AM

Before re-installing Win 7 you still can do a number of things.

- Running two Anti virus programs slows down one's system. Either disable AVAST or disable Windows Defender.

- Use CCleaner (Tools, Startup) to disable items that start upon start up. You don't need to remove those things right away. Just disable a number of things.

- If you want to defragment your hard disk then use the build in Windows defragmenter instead of Defraggler.

- Virusses can mess up one's computer system. Download "Tweaking's Windows Repair All in one" (Google it), follow the instructions, tick every box in an attempt to repair the firewall & Security Center. The program should be finished in about 30 minutes.

#8 marberbc

marberbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

JohnC and Willy,

Thanks for your advice. JohnC, I had thought I'd removed Mcafee, thanks for pointing out that I hadn't.

Willy, WOW! That Tweaking's made a major difference. It took close to 24 hours, but well worth it. So far the notebook is running very smooth and quick.

As I mentioned--this notebook was a hand-me-down to my friend. I don't know if her brother got rid of it because it wasn't running well, or if when he deleted his personal stuff he went overboard.

Thanks!

marber 

#9 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

@MarberBC: Can you attach the logs that Windows Repair produced when you ran that program ? Attach it to the next reply in this thread. I know the author of the program is VERY interested in what info the logs contains. It gives the author a clue where perhaps the program can be improved.

Edited by Willy22, 24 June 2014 - 05:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users