Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Repair Disk?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:53 PM

I'm getting ready to install Macrium Reflect Free in order to create an image on my WD My Passport Ultra external hard drive

--- I have created a System Repair disc

--- I saw in post that 7 as well as MR website, I will be able to create Linux CD or a Windows PE boot disc 

------ I was thinking of creating both boot discs

I saw in post in post 5 I'll be able to get into the System Recovery Options using the System Repair disc

--- Will the Linux CD or the Windows PE boot disc also go through the System Recovery Options or will they have their own options on what to do?

--- Come to think of it, maybe the only intent of the Linux CD or the Windows PE boot disc is to restore the image as opposed to the System Recovery Options

I also noted the comment of having the recovery media on a flash drive in order to restore back to factory

--- Can someone give me a link on how to figure out how to do that?

--- I have tried to look it up but I'm having a hard time selecting what to go by

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2014 - 07:10 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:17 PM

Hello! You should probably start a new topic. I'm sure this will be split and a new topic started. It would be a good idea to create both Linux and Windows PE. Macrium Reflect will have it's own options. You can use the system repair disc to restore the image created by the back up feature in Windows7 back up feature. I have used Macrium Reflect for several years and I can possibly answer most of your questions.

You have made a good decision to back up your Operating System. I will be glad to help you any way I can.

donetao!

PS As far as creating recovery media; it depends on your make and model and your operating system. I can probably help you with that also!

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Thanks donetao. I have been using the Windows 7 built in image backup but I believe Macrium Reflect is preferable

--- With your experience, I'm sure I'll have very good support when I have questions

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

As a Windows user, you don't need a Linux recovery disc, but they can be extremely useful !  If a computer gets so messed up that the Windows repair disc won't fix it and you are looking at a complete re-install then a disc like Puppy Linux will allow you to boot the system and recover / back-up data from a Windows computer before going ahead with a complete clean re-install.

On my desk I have five CD tools : Seagate tools for DOS; 32 and 64 bit repair discs for Win 7 and Vista; and a copy of Puppy Linux.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Wow, thanks Chris.

#6 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Here's a step by step guide to using Puppy Linux!! There are two pages. One tells how to down load it, the second page tells how to use it to recover data. Be sure you scroll down to the bottom and click page2 two to learn how to use Puppy Love!

http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

Edited by donetao, 14 May 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#7 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:12 AM

As a Windows user, you don't need a Linux recovery disc, but they can be extremely useful !  If a computer gets so messed up that the Windows repair disc won't fix it and you are looking at a complete re-install then a disc like Puppy Linux will allow you to boot the system and recover / back-up data from a Windows computer before going ahead with a complete clean re-install.

On my desk I have five CD tools : Seagate tools for DOS; 32 and 64 bit repair discs for Win 7 and Vista; and a copy of Puppy Linux.

Chris Cosgrove

Hello! I would just like to add to this post by Chris; if that is acceptable. The CD's that Chris has posted are all live CD's. Meaning if you have your boot options set to boot to CD/DVD first;you should be able to boot with them and run them. Puppy Linux is a great program and only needs RAM to run, meaning your HD could be toast and Puppy Love will still run. These are things that I have learned and want to share here on BC forum.

donetao!

PS Seagate tools for DOS is a excellent program. I use it a lot!

I hope you approve of my reply Chris!! I really hope the BC forum approves.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

donetao, I approve of your replies. I'm just a cmptrgy and I like finding out what advice applies to me and with the choices posted, I can evaluate them for my purposes

My now retired XP machine ran excellently and in a few months I'm going to convert it to Linux; I believe I'll start off with Lubuntu

I have 2 Windows 7 desktops and 1 Windows 7 laptop and I am doing very well on keeping them safe and secure as well as well maintained

#9 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

cmptrgy

Good advice from the posters. 

I've been using Macrium Reflect (free ver) for a while on 3 PC's with good results.  I use it primarily for full-HDD imaging.  I use another tool for cloning since it's a little faster than Macrium's cloning tool but Macrium's cloning works well.

I use the WinPE boot cd's for my PC's.

#10 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

Hello! I have Win PE, Bart PE, and a bunch of other live CD's seagate dos,Memtest86+, Puppy love, and more.

I have never seen the need to clone a drive and put it in a drawer. I have always just used a image. I guess a clone would get you back up and running faster, but I prefer having a image that's a month or less up to date. I don't use the incremental. I want the whole image backed up.

That's my 2 cents.

donetao!

#11 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hello! I have Win PE, Bart PE, and a bunch of other live CD's seagate dos,Memtest86+, Puppy love, and more.

I have never seen the need to clone a drive and put it in a drawer. I have always just used a image. I guess a clone would get you back up and running faster, but I prefer having a image that's a month or less up to date. I don't use the incremental. I want the whole image backed up.

That's my 2 cents.

donetao!

Hi,

I have similar boot media in my kit too, Memtest, Gparted, UBCD, some others.

Cloning, that's why I do both since I like the speed with cloning.  I'm using "hot-swap" racks in my Desktop PC so that allows for fast HDD cloning and swapping and also the Sata III transfer speeds help speed up the cloning process time.

The other reasons I like to have a spare HDD on the shelf is if I have a HDD failure or I'd like to test-restore a full-HDD image.

I had an occasion last week where I had downloaded a "suite" of things from Nvidia which installed things I didn't need which caused my Nvidia card to intermittenty crash when I was watching a streamed news broadcast show.  My GPU didn't like the latest driver version for some reason.

Rather than uninstalling several things that got downloaded with that Nvidia package, I installed my cloned HDD.  It was just a personal choice for me, vs uninstalling, etc.

I clone every couple of weeks.  It's come in handy a couple of times in the past when I needed to restore from one of those malicious items. 

I Image less frequently since it's a slower process for me (with a USB 2.0 external HDD).

I also prefer full-HDD imaging vs incremental or differential chains.  I see the purpose in those approaches but since I have the Macrium free version, it doesn't offer those options.

Imaging is great as well since it offers storage versatility.  I have a few full-HDD images of my 2 PC's stored on an external HDD as well as a family member's PC.  They're good for redundancy and would be useful in the event I had a cloning failure issue.

I haven't encountered any cloning problems in 3 years since I began cloning periodically.  I haven't been Imaging as long as cloning but so far, all of my test-recovery images have booted up great with no problems encountered.

I read about some problems elsewhere with cloning, ie "The copy of Windows is not genuine" blue screen message after cloning or other issues, but I've never encountered any problems with my Target HDD's after cloning on 3 separate PC's. 

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

I'd like to know where to download Macrium Reflect Free from

I see a link through MajorGeeks. CNET and some others but all them appear to bring "junk" along with them which means I'll have to clean out my computer afterward

I'll do so if I have to but I like to keep my computer as clean as possible and do not like uninstalling "junk" if I can help it

#13 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

Hello! I believe this is link is free from junk.

http://filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect

Don't click on the down load manager one. Click on the down load at the top right, where it says latest version.(41.85MB)

PS Looks like Macrium Reflect has joined PUP bunch. That's very sad.

Edited by donetao, 16 May 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Donetao @ #7

Thanks for correcting my oversight about all these discs I mentioned being self-booters. At least you were kind enough not to point out that I can't count either - Seagate + 2 x Win 7 + 2 x Vista + Puppy = 6 !

Chris Cosgrove

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

I installed Macrium Reflect 5.2.6544 from http://filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect

--- Thanks doneato: There weren’t any piggyback “junkware” involved

Created the Windows PE 3.1 & Linux recovery media onto DVD-R’s

--- Are these rescue discs usable on any PC running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit? Or do I have to label them with my computer make/model, OS and 32it?

When creating the Windows PE 3.1 recovery media I have questions on a few issues

Along the way, A Burn Rescue Media dialog box showed up

--- In the Burn Rescue Media dialog box there is a statement that reads “Rebuild the rescue environment by copying the required files (What does this mean and how is it usable to me?)

Later on, In the How do you want to use this disc? Dialog box, the default selection is Like a USB flash drive

------ I looked up the Which one should I choose? Information and decided to stay with the default selection

The alternate selection is With a CD/DVD player

--- I looked up the info on that also but I still don’t understand the difference

Now how do I test whether or not I’ll actually be able to restore my image?

--- I’m concerned that if something goes wrong, I’ll lose everything especially since I do not have an install disc for this computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users