Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid Boot Disk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 R4d30N

R4d30N

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:31 AM

I'm trying to fit a computer for a friend,the error is INVALID BOOT DISK IN A: this happens on start-up.I have removed the floppy drive from the computer to see if this has any effect which it did'nt,I have gone into the BIOS settings and had a look around there too,but no luck so far.

He said this error started recently out of the blue when he stated it up one morning,I'm thinking a BIOS problem of some sort,is it possible to re-set the settings or what,any ideas on how I can fix this please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:01 PM

Make sure that there isn't a floppy in the A: drive. If there is, take it out and try booting again. If it still gives you the error, then (if it were me, I'd) take out the floppy drive altogether. IMHO, there's not much need for it. I'm sure that others will disagree, but there's ways around having to use a floppy to boot.

Yes, you can reset the BIOS. Enter the BIOS set up screen, and find the boot menu (boot options/start up options). Find the "restore factory defaults" and hit yes. It will restore the BIOS to the way it was when the manufacturer first made it.

Hope this helps! If not, please post back and let us know.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 R4d30N

R4d30N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:21 PM

"I have removed the floppy drive from the computer"

I'll try and re-set the BIOS settings.

Thanks for reply

#4 R4d30N

R4d30N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

Re-set to defaults,still same error,any other ideas!

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:13 PM

"I have removed the floppy drive from the computer"

Sorry, I misunderstood and thuoght you removed a disk from the drive.

Try changing the boot order in the BIOS (choose Cd, hdd, hdd, or what ever to remove the floppy from the boot order), it should say floppy first, so change it to whatever is second bootup then save and exit.

If it still gives the same error, reset the booting order to factory defaults and try again.

Have you tried pulling the battery on the mobo to reset the BIOS/CMOS? If you're unsure how to do this, reference the motherboard manual for information on it. You'll have to have either the mobo manual or an online reference to change the jumpers. Most typically, the jumper is set to pins 1 and 2 by default. Unplugging the power cord from the wall (or back of the computer) then setting the jumper to pins 2 and 3 for a minute and pulling the battery will reset the BIOS/CMOS. The mobo manual will tell you where the jumper is located at. Be sure to ground yourself by having a grounding wrist-strap or by having bare skin touching the inside of the case (static electricity will damage everything inside the case if you're not careful).

If you're still getting that same error message, then I'd have to say that it's a windows issue that may be fixed easiest by a reinstallation (although you can try a repair first).

I've run into similar problems, and (unfortunately) a reinstallation of windows fixed all but 1 of the computers it's happened to. I've had to completely wipe one hdd clean and do a new install of the OS.

TBH, my own computer is doing something similar. I've just yet to reinstall windows, which I'm confident will fix it (lack of time I guess).

Hope it helps.

Edited by stevealmighty, 23 May 2006 - 03:23 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 R4d30N

R4d30N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for your help,however ive tryed the above too,is it possible that its something to do with the mbr i wonder?

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:10 PM

mbr=motherboard? Not sure if it's something with the motherboard. I wouldn't think so, but can't say for sure.

You've already tried to reinstall windows and it hasn't worked? Did you wipe the hard drive clean using a utility to write 0's to it, the install windows?
Posted Image

#8 R4d30N

R4d30N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

No I have'nt tryed re-installing windows again,thats not an option yet as there is important programs written my himself and I on the computer.

By mbr I mean master boot record,I doubt thats it,but I might try and repair it an see.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:26 PM

Can you boot into safe mode?

1.If you can, boot ito safe mode with command prompt.
2.Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4.Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users