Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop has died

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie1944

Eddie1944

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:21 AM

This is an Acer Aspire 5732Z with Windows 7 Professional installed.

Fine until a week ago when it started giving the message that the battery was about to run out, and to plug in the charger, even though the charger was plugged in and switched on. Unplugging the charger and plugging back in corrected that state for a few seconds then the message returned. A new battery and new charger were fitted a few weeks ago and the battery was holding its charge fine and charging up normally.  

After shutting down and re-booting it displayed an error message: "There was a problem retrieving data - 12007 (unknown)". I have Googled for that message but the results don't seem to relate to my problem. A few seconds after displaying that error message, the laptop shut down. The charger was plugged in and the charging LED was amber. This happened several times after re-booting until the laptop died -  now there is no response to the power on button and the charging LED is not coming on when the charger is plugged in.

I haven't got another battery or a laptop that I can use to charge the battery, or access to a compatible battery from another laptop. The tip on the charger is putting 19.5v out so that seems to be OK, but the laptop isn't recognising the charger.

So, my questions are as follows:

Is the power board?

Is it the motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:38 AM

Have you tried removing the battery and powering on with no battery installed (just the power adapter plugged in)? If not, unplug the battery, leave it out, unplug the power adapter from the wall for about 10 seconds, plug just the power adapter back in and try to power on.

If that does not work, since your power adpater is putting out 19.5v, it could be the jack built into the motherboard. If it is, it will require a bit of soldering to remove and replace the jack. You will also need to take the laptop completely apart. This is one of the more challenging tasks.

You could take the computer apart and check the voltage at the board testing the pins on the jack. Using a volt meter, check if power is getting to the board, on the bottom of the jack soldered to the board, place the positive meter end to the center pin solder point, touch the negative side to any of the ground points (generally any of the side pins of the jack will work). You should get 19.5 volts. I have seen many of your particular model with broken center pins in the DC jack.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Eddie1944

Eddie1944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion with battery removal but still no signs of life. I was hoping to avoid dismantling it but I can see that it's the only way of tracing the fault.

#4 Eddie1944

Eddie1944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Update: I have just tested the DC jack and am getting 19.5v on the outlet pin so I guess that the mainboard has a fault on it somewhere. 

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

Did you test the pin of the jack or the point on the board? If you have power, and you have 2 sticks of ram, pull one out and try the stick that is left in both slots. If nothing, remove that stick, put the other stick in and try it in both slots as well. A single bad stick of ram or bad slot can cause problems.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Eddie1944

Eddie1944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

I tested the pin that comes out of the back of the jack which goes to the board. I only have one stick of RAM, I tried that in the other slot but the laptop is still dead.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

If power is getting to the board, I would suspect a different issue. A shorting USB port can cause issues like this, visually inspect all usb ports for damage or bent/shorting pins. Also at this time disconnect all non essential hardware components from the computer, hard drive, wireless card etc.

With the board out of the computer, connect the single stick of ram, cpu, cpu cooler and fan (build it outside of the bottom plastic). Attach either an external monitor or plug in the built in display. Plug the power adapter into the jack and then try to power it on with only these components connected.

Also try to use the same configuration above with no ram installed and note any post fault beep code if one is heard.

#8 Eddie1944

Eddie1944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

Power is definitely getting to the board, I checked a solder joint on the board which is on the end of the back pin that comes out of the jack. The 2 USB ports look OK to me, no damage or bent pins and they are firm on the board. I followed your other instructions with the RAM in either socket and with no RAM at all, and didn't get any beeps or anything on an external monitor display and no movement from the fan.

When I reassembled the laptop I tried powering on with the battery in and got the Acer logo for about 2 seconds then it shut down. But I don't know how much charge is in the battery. There is still nothing when using the charger with or without the battery.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

Something must be wrong with the power circuit somewhere. It would be a battle to follow the traces and figure out where the power is stopping. Most of the time this is a lost cause unless you can find a pinout.

On some of the dell xps models a while back (older laptops - windows xp age) the voltage regulators would get hot enough to desolder themselves from the boards or crack off after heating and cooling many times. When this happens the computer will not charge or run from the power adapter. I have one where I have resoldered the voltage regulator connection 2 times, so far it is still working fine after doing this both times.

I have never seen this on an acer but it might be something obvious (burn marks etc) near the dc jack input. Unfortunately without actually seeing the board in person and testing I can not be of much help here.

#10 Eddie1944

Eddie1944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

That's OK, thanks for your help, I will put it on Ebay in case someone wants it for spares or repair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users