Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop is acting strange...help?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shawnwarr

shawnwarr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:12 AM

So recently my laptop tends to have a mind of its own. Some of these things are:

Opening programs when computer is not in use.

Flipping monitor completely when computer in not use

copying and pasting icons on homescreen multiple times when computer is not in use.

I actually got fed up and restored the computer as that should typically work, right?

NO. Same thing is happening.

I have researched these symptoms and it looks like Im the first person ever cause I cant find a fix nor resolution to this.

If anyone can help, it would be a great help.

Edited by shawnwarr, 14 May 2014 - 12:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RedRay

RedRay

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

Do you have an anti-virus installed?  Have you ran anti-malware programs such as malwarebytes or hitmanpro?  Have you ran or downloaded something untrusted?

#3 MysteryMac

MysteryMac

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

Shawnwarr,

My first thought in reading your post is that all your troubles seem to happen while the computer is unattended. So, do you have any friends, or family members that would have access to your computer while you were not around? I use to do this kind of thing to my friends and family members all the time as a joke. It is just a thought.

Next, when you said that you restored your computer did you mean just through windows restore? Or, do you mean restoring to a factory image or backup image? Just doing a windows restore would not get rid of a virus if you are infected. You can try to install something like Malwarebytes, but often times virus can render some windows feature unoperable even after the virus is deleted. So you may need to backup your important data, scan it for viruses, format your hard drive, then reinstall windows.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

p.s. I would seriously see if someone is messing with your first before you go through the trouble of formatting your computer.

#4 shawnwarr

shawnwarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

Although I would love the option of another person and/or entity doing these dastardly deeds on my computer, it is just myself.

I am running AVG and Avast currently, which they are not catching any viruses.

I have not heard of the malware program though, I will download it later and try it.

Since the laptop does not have a Disk drive, Im not sure if that is causing the return of this virus, as it seemed that it merely re-imaged it rather that a full and complete re-installation

#5 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

Although I'm not sure if it's related to your problems (and I'm not an expert on any of it!!), I know one thing: having two Anti-Virus programs at once installed (you list Avast and AVG) can be pretty disastrous! You should never have them both installed at once, since they'll interfere with each other and cause all sorts of trouble (slowness mainly, I think). I know this from personal experience, since I've made the mistake once as well. I'm running Avast (free version) only, so I'd recommend you uninstall either one of the AV programs. ;)

#6 RedRay

RedRay

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

Installing 2 AVs is ok i think.  The disastrous part is when you run a scan with them at the same time.  I dont really know if it works like that though.  But anyway would you know any cause of this?  Like did you download an infected file maybe, or browse through a website that could've infected you or maybe a friend or family member might have used your laptop and inserted an infected usb or cd.  Think of all the possibilities so you can narrow down your problem.

#7 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

No, from what I read and experienced, it's not just when running scans, it's because the real-time protection (which both AV programs have) conflicts. Here's why:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2316629

(view the 'important note' section, where it is described why it's not a good idea to install two AV programs at once!)

Or just do a google search on 'two antivirus programs at once' and you'll get a hundred different topics and sites explaining why you shouldn't do it ;)

I'd say running two scans at the same time would be even worse (never did that though), but just having two programs installed at once can cause conflicts and it doesn't help much to protect you. Instead, use one AV and an anti-malware programs that just scans like MBAM. If that scan comes up with something it's easier to find a solution to your problem. ;) You could also try running Rkill to see if any malware processes are going on. 

Edited by MsImAQuickStudy, 15 May 2014 - 05:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users