Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard enters wrong value

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bmetay

bmetay

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

On my  win xp pro sp3 box, My Keyboard enters a right windows key when 't' is depressed.
Every keyboard does the same thing.
It is windows.
there is a 't' in my password. No problem.
In safe mode, i works correctly.
Should I post in the virus forum?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

Could you post your startup programs?  Sounds like one of them is messing with your hard coded windows hotkeys.  That would explain why you aren't having the problem in safe mode, since your startups are disabled during that kind of boot.

The easiest way I have found to keep up with startups is using CCleaner.  XP has a startups utility, but I find it clumsy, and it seems to leave out some programs...

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:44 AM

I've seen a few mentions of similar issues in the past. Before I say anything else, please tell me who your ISP is. Depending on what you say this will determine whether I mention something else to you.

#4 bmetay

bmetay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

thanks for the replies
My isp is comcast.
I dled the free version of ccleaner but don't see my startup programs on its output.
I have dds and auoruns.

#5 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

If you still have CCleaner, select Tools->Startup.  You can use this interface to enable/disable startups.  There is also a button to create a text of the list.  If you make a list and paste it into your next post, maybe someone will be able to say which one is the likely one...

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

Do you have Constant Guard installed? I ask because it can cause issues like you described although what I've seen from others it usually affects more than one key.

I've not seen any reports that a windows key is entered. It usually enters numbers instead of letters.

Since it doesn't follow the norm for Constant Guard it likely isn't the cause if you have it installed, but  Comcast does not have a stellar history with branded software.  I just wanted to mention this to you just in case you do have Constant Guard.

#7 bmetay

bmetay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Here are my startups (windows) from ccleaner:

Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe Microsoft Corporation C:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
Yes HKCU:Run DriverUpdate SlimWare Utilities, Inc. "C:\Program Files\DriverUpdate\DriverUpdate.exe" -boot
Yes HKCU:Run GoogleDriveSync Google "C:\Program Files\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe" /autostart1
Yes HKCU:Run Spotify Web Helper Spotify Ltd "C:\Documents and Settings\Victor\Application Data\Spotify\Data\SpotifyWebHelper.exe"
Yes HKCU:Run SRSHDAudioLab SRS Labs, Inc. "C:\Program Files\SRS Labs\SRS Audio Essentials\AudioEssentials.exe" auto
Yes HKCU:Run SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
Yes HKLM:Run BluetoothAuthenticationAgent Microsoft Corporation rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
No HKLM:Run CLIStart Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
Yes HKLM:Run NaturalPoint NaturalPoint C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\SmartNav\SmartNAV.exe
Yes HKLM:Run SRSAENotifier SRS Labs, Inc. C:\Program Files\SRS Labs\SRS Audio Essentials\AENotifier.exe
Yes HKLM:Run vProt AVG Technologies "C:\Program Files\AVG SafeGuard toolbar\vprot.exe"
Yes Startup Common Bluetooth.lnk Broadcom Corporation. C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
Yes Startup User Click-N-Type.LNK Lake Software C:\Program Files\Click-N-Type\Click-N-Type.exe
Yes Startup User Dropbox.lnk Dropbox, Inc. C:\Documents and Settings\Victor\Application Data\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe

And  yes, Queen-Evie, at one time I had that that abomination. I removed it. Did my troubles start then? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.
Yes, my issue is confined to one  key.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

If you removed that abomination, it has no bearing on the issue you are having now, especially since it's only for one key.

What, if anything, opens when you hit the T key?

#9 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

bmetay...

I would start by using CCleaner to disable the start up command for Click-N-Type if it's not essential (that is unless you know it isn't causing the t key problem).  Right click on the startup in CCleaner and select disable.  Boot to see if that resolves the problem.

The only way I know of to find out if it is one of these (I would say it's 80% or so likely one of them) is to disable the startups and test to see if the problem persists in a normal Windows boot environment.  One technique is to disable half of them and then boot.  If the problem is gone, then it's one or the ones you turned disabled.  If not, it's one of the other ones.  Then break down that half into halves until you just have a few.

I doubt it's dropbox, or Superantispyware, and you can leave ctfmon.exe on.  It's a normal Windows start up.

Edited by UpgradeMe, 15 May 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#10 bmetay

bmetay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

Well, thanks to your input,  I found it.

After disabling a lot of software, it turned out to be set in my smartnav program.Queen-E vie led me to it because I had trouble figuring out the key for 'T'. Both of them actually entered a right mouse click.

This thread  can be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users