Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox: Avast

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Verrette

Verrette

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Is it advised to turn on the automatic updates regarding Avast prompt? The list below is what currently needs to be updated, but my concerns are for example... Even if I don't update these things, will I continue to get alerts for the ones I don't decide to update. Why? you may ask... Well I am trying not to use Java because it is awful, I can't tell you how may show up when I type in "about:plugins". I don't ever want to update Explorer as I don't ever use it b/c I have windows XP, and the less microsoft supported things I have and are using the better! It's telling me to update adobe's and I can't b/c it always says encountered a problem halfway into the download, and my computer is 64 bit and itunes that is be prompted to be installed is a 32 bit....

Adobe AIR

DivX Plus Web Player

Flash Player Active X

Flash Player Plug In

Java Runtime Environment

itunes (32 bit) (I don't know it says (32 bit) as I thought I had a 62 bit system)

Google Chrome

Internet Explorer

Mozilla Firefox

Thanks!

Thanks! -Stacey

(my computer info:Microsoft Windows XP - Media Center Edition Version 2002 - SP3, 64X2 Dual - Hewlett-Packard Co.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

Yes, avast! includes a built-in Software Updater which allow you to monitor important programs to ensure they are up to date but the feature can be a nuisance. If you don't want it, then do this...

If avast is already installed disable the Software Updater as follows:
1. Right-click on the avast icon in the systray and choose "Open avast! user interface.
2. Click the Software Updater box
3. Click the "Stop" button and close avast!.
4. This will disable the feature for that session but on the next Restart the Software Updater will turn back on by default.

To permanently disable, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > select avast > Change/Remove.
1. On the avast! installation set up screen choose the option to Change and click Next.
2. On the Configuration screen, under Components, UNCHECK Software Updater and click Next.
-- You can also uncheck all the programs you don't want to install or change the language from here.
3. After the change is made you should receive an Update finished page.
4. Check the option to restart and click the Finish button at the bottom.

Note: If you choose Uninstall, the next time you reinstall avast!, choose a Custom Install and uncheck all the programs you don't want to install at that time.

If you don't need or use Java I recommend just uninstalling it altogether.

Why you don't need Java and should remove it

Calendar Of Updates is an excellent resource to check on a daily basis for updates to popular programs like Flash, browers and security software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users