Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Infected!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 dede0506

dede0506

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:08 AM

Is Winfixer spyware or anti-spyware? My husband accidentally infected our system Windows-XP Home System with (Alfacleaner, Spysheriff) and to fix it, he downloaded Winfixer. It seems that our system is worse so I've been researching Winfixer and it sounds more like spyware. We've run Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy, but we still can't get rid of the viruses. Our internet home pages have been reset to "about: blank" and we can't set them back. Our task manager runs incredibly slow. In fact, I had to come to work to access Bleeping Computer because the system won't let the web page download. Also, the built in Windows Security system says that my firewall is turned off. When I try to turn it back on, it gives me an error message "due to an undisclosed reason, you can not open the Firewall Options" I don't know what has disabled my firewall but I'm assuming it is one or all of these viruses. I'm an IT novice so any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:54 PM

Hi dede0506,

This looks indeed that your system is terribly infected.
And yes, Winfixer is on the blacklist of the so called spywarecleaners, so never install these. Also look in my signature where it says which scanners NOT to install.

In fact, I had to come to work to access Bleeping Computer because the system won't let the web page download

Ok, as you say, you had to go to work to get connected here, because you can't browse with your infected computer.

Let's make things easier for you first. I guess you have an usb stick or cdrom? Because I want you to download Firefox and install it on the infected computer. Firefox is another browser instead of IE and then you can use firefox instead to follow the steps and post the logs, instead of going to your work all the time to access this site - firefox should work on the infected computer.

So, I want you to do next first..

Download next programs from the internet:

Firefox: http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firef...=win&lang=en-US
Hijackthis: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe
Dr.Web CureIt: ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/drweb-cureit.exe

Burn them on cdrom or USB stick so you can transfer above to the infected computer.

Place HJTsetup.exe and drweb-cureit.exe on the desktop of the infected computer. We'll need both later.

Also place the firefox installer on your desktop and doubleclick it to install it.
After firefox being installed, you'll see that browsing should work.

Don't browse yet, we need to clean up a bit more first, so perform next:

* Reboot into Safe Mode`: ( without networking support !)
°To get into the Safe mode as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key". Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:
  • Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
  • Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
  • Click the "Delete Cookies" button
  • Next to it, Click the "Delete Files" button
  • When prompted, place a check in: "Delete all offline content", click OK
* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):
  • Go to Tools > Options.
  • Click Privacy in the menu on the left side of the Options window.
  • Click the Clear button located to the right of each option (History, Cookies, Cache).
  • Click OK to close the Options window
    Alternatively, you can clear all information stored while browsing by clicking Clear All.
    A confirmation dialog box will be shown before clearing the information.
* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin
  • Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
  • Let it scan your system for files to remove.
  • Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
  • Press OK to remove them.
Once in safe mode,
  • Doubleclick the drweb-cureit.exe file and Allow to run the express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
  • Once the short scan has finished, mark the drives that you want to scan.
  • Select all drives. A red dot shows which drives have been chosen.
  • Click the green arrow at the right, and the scan will start.
  • Click 'Yes to all' if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, in the menu, click file and choose save report list
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Reboot your computer back to normal mode.
  • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
  • Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply together with the log from Dr.Web CureIt ( DrWeb.csv ) you saved before.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
Most probably your problems won't be solved yet, but I'll see in your hijackthislog afterwards what steps still needs to be done.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 dede0506

dede0506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:50 PM

I've downloaded the 3 links onto a cd and will take it home. One more question though...I have 3 user accounts on my system and I've run the Spybot & Ad-Adware on all 3 users finding spyware on each one. Do I perform these downloads on each user, the user that was originally infected or the system administrator?

Now stop laughing...I told you I was a novice:)

Thanks!

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:55 PM

Hi,

No, no need to do this for each user. Use it on the originally infected user account. Because after all, it's the same Windows and System32-folder for all users. And scanners scan other users as well if you set it to scan the entire drive. :thumbsup:
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 dede0506

dede0506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:03 PM

Will do.

#6 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

Success. :thumbsup:

Don't worry if the infections are still present after performing my steps. Using DrWeb CureIt will already deal with most. We'll deal with the rest afterwards.

#7 dede0506

dede0506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hi,

I ran the "cleaners" and here are the results:

DrWeb.csv results:

videotype.vbs;D:\hp\patches\41NA0BLU\WinDVD;Probably SCRIPT.Virus;;
174.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop;Trojan.DownLoader.9878;Deleted.;
Terminator.exe;C:\hp\bin;Trojan.KillApp.30208;Deleted.;
videotype.vbs;C:\hp\patches\41NA0BLU\WinDVD;Probably SCRIPT.Virus;;
A0000392.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{CD53596A-5812-49DB-AF84-A72B9BECDE4F}\RP5;Trojan.DownLoader.9179;Deleted.;
A0000397.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{CD53596A-5812-49DB-AF84-A72B9BECDE4F}\RP5;Trojan.DownLoader.9878;Deleted.;
A0000402.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{CD53596A-5812-49DB-AF84-A72B9BECDE4F}\RP5;Trojan.DownLoader.9878;Deleted.;
A0000508.old;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{CD53596A-5812-49DB-AF84-A72B9BECDE4F}\RP5;Trojan.DownLoader.2636;Cured.;
A0000685.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{CD53596A-5812-49DB-AF84-A72B9BECDE4F}\RP7;Trojan.DownLoader.9878;Deleted.;

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:38:39 PM, on 5/23/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\tbmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\vstskmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-us10.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://srch-us10.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = about:blank
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=explorer.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: HP View - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sunkist2k] C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] "C:\Windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Network Associates Error Reporting Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\tbmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTMSG] LTMSG.exe 7
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AutoTKit] C:\hp\bin\AUTOTKIT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [0c8dfdbb.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\0c8dfdbb.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [shell] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [brmfrsmq] C:\WINDOWS\system32\brmfrsmq.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [0c8dfdbb.exe] C:\Documents and Settings\PaPa\Local Settings\Application Data\0c8dfdbb.exe
O4 - Startup: .protected
O4 - Global Startup: .protected
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by107fd.bay107.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {74C861A1-D548-4916-BC8A-FDE92EDFF62C} -
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/ZIntro.cab34246.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\vstskmgr.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

#8 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:28 AM

Hello,

Ok, we are getting somewhere. :thumbsup:

Next what Dr.Web flagged is a false positive:
videotype.vbs;D:\hp\patches\41NA0BLU\WinDVD;Probably SCRIPT.Virus;;
it's no virus. Luckily Dr.Web only reports these 'probably' infected files and doesn't delete it.

I see you are running Teatimer.
I suggest you to disable it because it can interfere with the changes you'll make on your system.
When everything is done and your log is clean again, you can enable it again.
If teatimer gives you a warning afterwards that some changes were made, allow this instead of blocking it.
How to disable TeaTimer during HijackThis Cleanup
Then, Download ResetTeaTimer.bat.
Double click ResetTeaTimer.bat to remove all entries set by TeaTimer.

It's better to print out the next instructions or save them in notepad, because you also have to work in safe mode without networking support, so this page wouldn't be available then.
It is also important you don't miss a step and perform everything in the right order!!

I see these .protected entries in your log. So most probably other leftovers will also still be present. Next fix should deal with these leftoverstogether with the .protected entries..

* Please download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri)
Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop.
Don't use it yet.

* Reboot into Safe Mode`: ( without networking support !)
°To get into the Safe mode as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key". Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

* Start HijackThis, close all open windows leaving only HijackThis running. Place a check against each of the following if still present:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = about:blank
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=explorer.exe
<= fixing this should restore its default entry.
O3 - Toolbar: HP View - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll <== not required
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [0c8dfdbb.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\0c8dfdbb.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [shell] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [0c8dfdbb.exe] C:\Documents and Settings\PaPa\Local Settings\Application Data\0c8dfdbb.exe
O4 - Startup: .protected
O4 - Global Startup: .protected
O16 - DPF: {74C861A1-D548-4916-BC8A-FDE92EDFF62C} -

* Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.
Make sure your Internet Explorer is closed when you click Fix Checked!

Please set your system to show all files.
Click Start.
Open My Computer.
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.
Click OK.

* Using Windows Explorer, locate the following files/folders, and delete them if still present: (don't worry if you can't find some)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\0c8dfdbb.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.dll
C:\Documents and Settings\PaPa\Local Settings\Application Data\0c8dfdbb.exe

Please hide your hidden files and folders afterwards again, because above instructions to set your system to show all files, unhide legit files and folders as well.
And I don't want you to delete them because they may look suspicious. To hide them again, just perform the above instructions in the opposite way.

* Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press "Enter" to delete infected files.

(Warning : running option #2 on a non infected computer will remove your Desktop background.)

You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.

The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter".

The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart it into Normal Windows.
A text file will appear onscreen, with results from the cleaning process; Post that log in your next reply together with a new hijackthislog.
The report can also be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt

#9 dede0506

dede0506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:17 PM

So far so good...I guess. What's next?

Scan saved at 6:12:07 PM, on 5/24/2006

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sunkist2k] C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Network Associates Error Reporting Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\tbmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: AutoTBar.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by107fd.bay107.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/ZIntro.cab34246.cab
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\vstskmgr.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

SmitFraudFix v2.47

Scan done at 18:01:47.54, Wed 05/24/2006
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\PaPa\Desktop\SmitfraudFix
Fix ran in safe mode

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Before SmitFraudFix
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Killing process

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Deleting infected files

C:\WINDOWS\.protected Deleted
C:\Documents and Settings\PaPa\Application Data\Install.dat Deleted

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Generic Renos Fix

GenericRenosFix by S!Ri

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Deleting Temp Files

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Registry Cleaning

Registry Cleaning done.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» After SmitFraudFix
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» End

#10 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:55 AM

Hello,

Almost there.. :thumbsup:

Check and fix next entries in hijackthis again:

O4 - Startup: AutoTBar.exe
<== not required since I already asked you to fix the HP View previously in hijackthis

Then Update your sun java because you are running a vulnerable version:
Updating Java:
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on the Software icon > add/remove programs.
  • Search in the list for all previous installed versions of Java. (J2SE Runtime Environment.... )
    It should have next icon next to it: Posted Image
    Select it and click Remove.
  • Then Download and install the newest version from here:http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Let me know in your next reply how things are running now. :flowers:

#11 dede0506

dede0506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:46 AM

When I do this will a firewall be turned on...either Windows or some other program. I'm asking because when I log on I still get a balloon message from the icon taskbar that says "your computer may be at risk...the firewall is not turned on".

#12 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:56 AM

Well, I don't see any firewall installed... and it looks like your Windows firewall is turned off.
So we can choose here - or you turn your Windows Firewall back on ( look here how to do this: http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/ASKIT/HowTo/soft...7108xpfrwll.htm
Or install a desktop Firewall, which is more powerful.
Zonealarm, Agnitum Outpost Free OR Kerio are FREE firewalls.

Understanding and using firewalls

Keep in mind, when you install a desktop firewall, it may disable your windows firewall to avoid incompatbility issues.

#13 dede0506

dede0506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:48 PM

Hi,

The logfile is below...gotta question about the firewall downloads...

I downloaded Agnitum Outpost Free and when it installed and began running it asked whether or not I wanted to block some communications to/from MSMMGRS.exe, HTTP and it gave a bunch of IP numbers etc. Of course I didn't know what I was doing so I allowed everything. Afterwards I could not get online to reply to you. Neither Firefox nor IE would open so I uninstalled Agnitum Outpost which then allowed me to get online. What should I have allowed and what should I have blocked? Also, which one of these free firewalls are better?

Thanks so much for uninfecting my computer. :thumbsup:

Scan saved at 7:38:09 PM, on 5/25/2006

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

#14 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:35 AM

Hello,

Your hijackthislog looks clean again..

I downloaded Agnitum Outpost Free and when it installed and began running it asked whether or not I wanted to block some communications to/from MSMMGRS.exe, HTTP and it gave a bunch of IP numbers etc. Of course I didn't know what I was doing so I allowed everything. Afterwards I could not get online to reply to you. Neither Firefox nor IE would open so I uninstalled Agnitum Outpost which then allowed me to get online. What should I have allowed and what should I have blocked? Also, which one of these free firewalls are better?

Are you sure it was MSMMGRS.exe? and not msnmsgr.exe? Because that's your Messenger.
Strange, you say you allowed all and couldn't connect to the internet.
Did you read the link where it says: Understanding and using firewalls?

You can try another one I gave you though, because you really need a firewall present. Or you can enable your Windows firewall.

#15 dede0506

dede0506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:49 AM

It was probably the MSNMSGR.exe, see, I don't know what I'm doing.

I did read the firewall link but I will read it again to make sure, then I will try the firewall download again.

Thanks so much for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users