Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC beeping won't start up.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lan07

lan07

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

Today I accidentally spilt some water on my laptop so I tipped it upside down and then used a air compressor on it to get all of the water out. Turned it on worked fine logged on and left it. Later I went to type which I am using a USB keyboard and the thing wasn't typing right no water was spilt on my keyboard so I restarted it and it won't start it beeps after showing the brand of PC. I turned it on again and it showed edit boot options edit windows boot options for windows 7 path windows\system32\windows.exe partition 2 any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2014 - 07:03 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

Welcome,

I suspect that the laptop was not 'dry' when you started it up again. Was it off when the water spilled on it?

Even with the blow drying I'd estimate that it would take at least 24 hours for things to get dry. Moisture in the connections can cause shorts - which may be what's happened here.

My only suggestion would be to leave it open, in a warm dry location for about 24 hours, no power, no battery and try again. You might get lucky.

If not it will take disassembly and testing to discover which components have been damaged. If the cost of repair doesn't exceed the cost of replacement, I might still vote for replacement.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 lan07

lan07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

K I will leave it open and let it air out and post results in the next day or so.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Put it by a sunny window liquids get into every nook & cranny, many cases takes days to dry out.  Hope you have the battery removed!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 lan07

lan07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Yesterday I blew the PC out again turned it on was working fine besides some random 7's that was typed by the pc so I turned it back off now today it's beeping again says intel copyright.and ethernet controller and just beeps continually.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hi,

Sounds like it's still wet

Leave it untouched in a warm dry place for at least three days more. Maybe then it will be dry.

Dick E

#7 lan07

lan07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

I was thinking maybe I figured it out. When you type something as the.PC.is loading it does that sound and my PC does random typing so I was thinking it was.beeping from the typing. Now I just need to figure.out how to disable the built in keyboard. I played with the keys that.usually stops the random typing and it booted up!

Edited by lan07, 14 May 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#8 lan07

lan07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Sorry if the post is hard to read I am on my mobile phone.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

Look in device manager [start -> control panel -> device manager] you should be able to disable it there

Keep us posted

Dick E

#10 lan07

lan07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:19 AM

When i tried that thre is only uninstall option so I uninstalled it and rebooted and it auto reinstalled. I researched more online and i read that it doesn't work on windows 7 and to remove the ribbon from the pc itself. I don't know how to do that or found any tuts for my laptop. I am using a Toshiba Satellite l855-s5240 if anyone wants to help. :)

Edited by lan07, 15 May 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

IMO you are not allowing enough drying time to avoid future problems, you may regret pushing the issue.

Edited by OldPhil, 15 May 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#12 lan07

lan07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

I can't use any keys on it the only thing it is doing is messing up my pc giving it errors. I don't knw what else to do or any other solution to the problem. With the keyboard on I sometimes can't scroll with my touch pad, can't look at my tabs at the bottom of the screen so if i minimize a screen i cannot maximize it, messes with pc games, and beeps starting it up I have to mess with it to get it to stop. Unless there is another solution.

#13 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

Hi,

I think that you are very near the decision point - will it be cheaper to replace it or have a qualified technician attempt to repair it.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

Take the battery out then put it aside in a warm dry place and forget about it for a week you may get lucky even though you have not taken very good advice!

#15 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

Amen

Dick E