Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update to Win 8.1 failed

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Just now (having finally gotten a high speed Internet connection) I tried to update the office laptop to 8.1.  The download went OK, it looked as if the update was going through, and then right at the end it failed.  The only message I got to read (I was busy and couldn't look at the computer all the time) was to the effect of "Sorry, the update failed, restoring your previous version of Windows" with the notation 0xC1900101 - 0x40017.

Any idea what is going on there, or what to do about it?

Edited by saluqi, 13 May 2014 - 04:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

Today, two days later, I tried again.  This time the update started from the middle, so to speak (the download having completed the first time around).  The computer went through a lengthy (2 hours) series of "configuring Windows", "getting ready" etc. screens, leading me to think the update was going to succeed.  At the end, however, it said again "attempting to recover the install" and then after a while "sorry, the update failed, returning to your previous version of Windows" (all those not exactly verbatim, but words to that effect).

In both cases I selected the free update to 8.1, to which I am supposedly entitled.  Is there some other, perhaps better way to do this?

This is a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop, mid-level (i3 processor, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, touch screen - now disabled, I use and prefer a wireless mouse - and so on) bought last October and since then in daily use in my office (so far I as GM am the only user <G>).  Not much in the way of installed software - MS Office 365 (we have an office subscription), Google Chrome as browser, IrfanView, VLC player, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, WinPatrol, SpywareBlaster, Adobe Reader (replacing the useless Reader "App" from the Windows Store) and oh yes, the Classic Shell, in more or less default configuration (Win 7 style menu).  Maybe I need to turn all that off before trying the upgrade?  Oh yes, I also disabled the touchpad, accidental contact with which can have unexpected results <G>.  And I configured Win 8 to start with the desktop, even before installing Classic Shell.  All my "daily-use" programs (and a few useful "apps" such as Calculator and Character Map - I am multilingual) are pinned to the taskbar.  Of course I could undo any or all of that if it would help.

It takes a lot to get me exasperated, but we are getting there <G>.

BTW I did create a "Recovery Drive" (16 GB flash drive) before trying to update to 8.1 ...

Thanks for enlightenment!

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:07 AM

Windows 8.1 Update is indeed free but requires that the machine already have Windows 8.1 installed.

The Upgrade to Windows 8.1 is, however, not free (I believe it was inexpensive early on).

So, the progression here is install the Upgrade to Win 8.1, then install the Win 8.1 Update.

So, if you already have 8.1 on the machine, it could indeed be a driver problem. Here is a site that may help... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/error-0xc1900101-0x40017-when-installing-windows/8c893ae6-0e9b-4b7d-a647-b9065099efd6 .

Edited by ElfBane, 16 May 2014 - 04:11 AM.

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

Oops, I was sloppy with my terminology.  What the computer was offering me was a free upgrade to Win 8.1 - found in the Windows Store and included in the purchase price of the machine.  So in the above I am talking about the upgrade, not the Win 8.1 update.  The Win 8.1 upgrade was/is a 3.4 GB download, which I could not reasonably do until we had a real highspeed connection.  Our satellite-based ISP was giving us download speeds of about 0.1-0.2 Mbps - slower than the 48K dialup I have at home.  We are now (since last Friday evening) running off fiberoptic with a microwave link, much much faster and without "satellite lag".  I haven't measured the speed, but the 3.4 GB download took less than an hour, if I remember correctly.

There are, apparently, also 16 pending updates (whether to Win 8 or Win 8.1 was not obvious to me) - at least, something like that showed on the screen during part of the rather lengthy upgrade procedure.

Maybe I need to talk with Dell support about this?  The machine has a two year warranty and is not quite six months old.

#5 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

So, if you already have 8.1 on the machine, it could indeed be a driver problem. Here is a site that may help... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/error-0xc1900101-0x40017-when-installing-windows/8c893ae6-0e9b-4b7d-a647-b9065099efd6 .

That is exactly the error I got the first time (there was no specific error message the second time).  In that article I found several things that might be causing the problem.  Sleep mode, screen saver, third party software graphics, Intel HD 4000 graphics drivers, Avast! Internet Security - just for starters.  So I will go disable or uninstall those things, update the Intel HD 4000 drivers, and try again.

#6 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

The first two tries since writing the above have failed.  I notice however that "Scotty" barks once just before the restart ... so I am thinking WinPatrol may be blocking some part of the installation process. Is there any way to disable WinPatrol short of completely uninstalling it?  You can close it of course, but then it will be there again after a restart, so that probably won't work.

Not that uninstalling WinPatrol, and reinstalling it later, would be any big deal.  Maybe i should shut down SpywareBlaster at the same time, in case it is blocking some necessary Web site?

I notice that my custom settings - for instance, disabling the touchpad in favor of the mouse - have vanished as a result of the "restoration" of my previous version of Windows.  No surprise, and no big deal, but iinteresting.

I suppose I should also consider uninstalling (rather than disabling) Avast! Internet Security if removing WinPatrol and SpywareBlaster doesn't do the trick.

#7 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

Another update: removing WinPatrol did not solve the problem.

Next thought: update the Intel HD 4000 graphics driver.  The one installed is version 9.17.10.2867, installed by Dell (the computer was purchased in October 2013).  The latest version on the Intel site is 15.33.18.64.3496, dated 3/11/2014.  Should I go ahead and install that?

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Disconnect all peripheral items except for the keyboard & mouse

Update Windows updates.

Check the Windows Updates History for any failures, especially drivers

Check optional updates also for drivers

--- You are wondering whether or not to upgrade the HD 4000 Graphics driver; my vote is Yes

Check out Error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017 when installing Windows 8.1

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/error-0xc1900101-0x40017-when-installing-windows/8c893ae6-0e9b-4b7d-a647-b9065099efd6

--- It includes this particular code you noted to be associated with driver issues

If it doesn’t help, contact Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/

--- Microsoft is aware of the problem you see and I don’t see why they wouldn’t help you for free

The computer was purchased in Oct 2013; you might be able to get help from Dell support

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Try running Microsoft's Upgrade assistant.

I recently bit the bullet and attempted to upgrade to 8.1 only to have it tell me that it was unable to...  I ran the upgrade assistant and found that one of the programs I installed after installing Windows 8 was not going to be compatible with the 8.1 upgrade.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

I ran the Upgrade Assistant which flagged two things as incompatible or needing upgrade:

It said the Cloud app would not be available in Win 8.1 (I never use it)

It said I should upgrade the RealTek driver for the card reader.

It also said I should uninstall the old driver before installing the new one.

I have downloaded the new one - it is a ZIP file.  So how to go about uninstalling the old one and installing the new one in its place?

It also said disable antivirus while the upgrade is taking place.  I can do that.

It said everything else is compatible - but didn't mention the Classic Shell.  Should I uninstall that, temporarily, to be on the safe side?

Thanks for enlightenment!

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

It said everything else is compatible - but didn't mention the Classic Shell.  Should I uninstall that, temporarily, to be on the safe side?

That's a good question, and I'm not finding consistent information.  Since the upgrade assistant didn't flag it I would guess that it would be ok.  It does look like the 8.1 is compatible with the classic shell, so even if there is a problem you should be able to uninstall it, download it and install it again. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

That's pretty much what I thought.  Uninstalling and reinstalling stuff is no problem.  Having the upgrade fail is a PITA because it takes an hour or so.

The driver I just downloaded is RtsXStor_6.3.273.37 - a zip file.  Looks as if I can uninstall the old driver from the Control Panel.  How to install the new one - or does that become self-evident when I unpack the zip file?

Thanks as always for enlightenment!

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

You will need a program like 7-Zip to extract the driver.  When you click on the download you may be asked which program you want to use to open this file, or 7-Zip may open automatically.  When it does open you will need to click on Extract All.  This will happen twice.  Once the the file is extracted it should install like other programs, click on run...

#14 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

After updating the RealTek card reader driver I tried again, and again the upgrade failed.  Since the process takes nearly three hours each time, this has become a major nuisance.

I then again ran the Upgrade Assistant, and again it flagged the RealTek driver as not updated (though in fact I have installed the most recent version, and that shows correctly in Programs and Features or whatever it's called in Control Panel).  It also again complained about Microsoft SkyDrive.  So I removed that, and again re-installed the latest RealTek Card Reader driver.  Ran out of time to try the upgrade again (I also have real work to do) but maybe can try again tomorrow - if I can afford to have my work computer tied up for three hours or so.  Given the paperwork I have to get through in the next few days, it might be a week or more before I get another chance to try.

This all strikes me as pretty poor.  The amount of time I have already wasted trying to do the upgrade would, if translated into money terms, buy a couple of dozen of those $500 laptops - but since they are bought with public funds, and I am paid a fixed salary from public funds, I can't deal with it that way.  On a fixed salary your time has zero value - you work until the job is done <G>.

I am typing this from the repaired laptop I received back from Dell a few days ago.  This one too will have to be upgraded to Win 8.1, and I am coming to dread that prospect.  So far I have no complaint about Win 8 (haven't had a chance to try 8.1 yet!) itself, but the upgrade process is a nightmare.

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

I can see you have done just about everything you could do

I just pulled up Realtek's official driver download center http://www.official-drivers.com/downloadcenter/realtek-drivers/

I can't say whether or not this one is for you but the version date is current as of today June 4

It might be worth your time; I sure hope so

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users