Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 system repair disc!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

Hello! I'm pretty sure I know what the system repair disc does. I made one the first day I turned my PC on. I also made a recovery media on a 32GB flash drive. I under stand that I can use the recovery media to restore my PC back to factory. I can use the system repair disc to boot into the recovery mode when my PC fails to boot into windows. On my model,that's the only way I can get into the recovery mode. I can not get there through safe mode.

My question is, What is the difference between the above and down loading a legal image of W7 from digitalriver.

What does it do that the system repair disc can't do. Hope this makes sense to someone. I'm a bit confused and haven't been able to clear this up in my mind by goggling. I'm sure someone here can get me straightened out on this.

Thank you!

donetao

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

I love it...when everyone NOT AUTHORIZED to do so...asserts that the Digital River downloads are "legal".

Microsoft is the ONLY agency with the power to do suchl...and it hasn't made such assertion nor has it taken steps to terminate such.

Just to keep the record straight...

Louis

Are Digital River download links for Windows 7 legal for the general public to use - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/3f21f41a-514c-464f-89c3-fae48482b054

Are Digital River's download links illegal for use by people not - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/are-digital-rivers-download-links-illegal-for-use/9a121cdc-6c23-481a-bd5c-2753f2578423

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

The recovery partition and the image you have on the flash drive contain Not only Windows 7 it also will have

things like the drivers for the hardware that you haven't replaced since purchase and any software that the manufacturer

installed. 

The best backup would be a more recent image that would contain all the software, custom settings, files, etc.

that you have installed rather than putting the computer back to day one.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 donetao

donetao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

Hello! Thank you buddy! I didn't mention it in my post, but I also create a back up image of my OS every month with Macrium Reflect. I have gone back to day one once or twice, but that's a lot of work. Also you gave a good description of the recovery media on the flash drive. 

The part I'm trying to understand is the digitalriver part that members here advise other members to use.

What is it and how does it work. Is it the same thing as a system repair disc; or is it different??

Do I need to make one and have it in my desk drawer; or is the system repair disc good enough??

PS Thanks for your information Louis. I just assumed they were legal. I see them recommended here on the BC forum and I'm curious what they do. If they are not legal, I don't want one. I don't understand why Micro$$oft is not complaining and why is the BC forum recommending them to members??

Edited by donetao, 13 May 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

You can't just boot into a flash drive that has an image of your hdd on it. You need the Repair Disk to boot the

computer then follow the instruction for using the flash drive image or other image you created with MR to install

the image onto the hdd. There are other options on the Repair Disk.

224952-systemrecovery_original.jpg

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

<<I don't understand why Micro$$oft is not complaining and why is the BC forum recommending them to members??>>

The BC Forum/website...does NOT recommend any download of any version of Windows, either via torrent, .iso, or direct download link.  See Policy Statement at Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html .  Nowhere on this website can you find any official endorsement of the Digital River or other Win 7 sources.

What the individual members suggest to each other...is NOT representative of anything other than that person's attitude, opinion, and preferences.  If a member chooses to believe that a download is legal when it clearly isn't...I don't waste my time trying to convince that person otherwise.  As long as I myself don't make such suggestions...and I therefore don't have to be responsible for holding myself as an agent of Microsoft...I'm willing to allow members to say things which are not true.

The weak point of this whole Digital Rivers situation...is that, obviously, Microsoft knows and has not stopped the flow.  Not my concern, since I don't work for Microsoft and I'm not a lawyer.

I cannot tell you or any other member to NOT download yourtube videos, music, torrents, etc.  Forces much lareger and greater than myself and this website have made all these things possible and easily done.

But, please....don't ever say that some of these things are "legal" because they are not...any more so than the fact that many users assert and believe that they "own" their copy of Windows...when, in reality, they have purchased a license to use Windows via the permission of Microsoft, in accordance with terms spelled out specifically.

Enough time wasted on a discussion of such...but I hate it when someone asserts something in error and said person is convinced that it is not error.  "Legal" is a precise term with definite meaning...I'm not sure it should be used in conjunction with any download of Windows where there is no immediate purchase attendant to such download.

Until Microsoft asserts that anyone/everyone can download Win 7 via their digital rivers links which are everywhere...I won't be using the term "legal" in conjunction with such downloads.

Louis

#7 donetao

donetao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

Hello buddy! Thanks for your reply. I understand what your saying. Macrium Reflect lets you create a Linux CD or  a Windows PE. You just set your PC to boot from CD/DVD and Macrium Reflect does the rest. I have restored my OS many times with MR. I also have the recovery media on a flash drive and I can set boot options to boot from USB and restore back to factory if I choose. I also have the system repair disc that I can boot with and inter into the recovery mode that you are showing in your screen shot. I also create a image of my OS with the windows back up feature. I could use that image to restore my OS with the system repair disc. I understand all of that. What I was asking, is what does the W7 image down loaded from digitalriver do. After Louis saying it isn't legal, I have tried to research, but I still don't know if it's legal. Some say it is. Some say it isn't. I don't want it if it isn't legal. Thanks for your reply.

#8 donetao

donetao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

Hello! I'm very sorry for saying legal. I'm not a lawyer either and if the program is not legal, I don't want it. I see it used on the BC forum a lot and I'm always curious and always learning. I can find quotes here on the BC forum saying that it's legal, but I see no use in carrying this any further. My main interest is for the seniors in my village that do not back up their PC's. Nor do they have the OME to restore their computers. That would be the place that I might use it. I think I have my answers unless others would like to reply. I have to admit, I have only seen it used to repair a working PC here on the BC forum and not to restore the OS. I don't know???

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Louis. That's wide awake information on the Windows 7 ISO's

Now I can move on to understand the topic at hand in case I ever run into such a situation

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:12 PM

any more so than the fact that many users assert and believe that they "own" their copy of Windows...when, in reality, they have purchased a license to use Windows via the permission of Microsoft, in accordance with terms spelled out specifically

+1 for Luis.

People have no idea about that.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#11 donetao

donetao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

Hello! As I have stated. I did not know these things. Now I do. I trust BC forum to make the right decisions. This is the way I learn. If this is not legal, I don't need it. I think BC forum should stop using if it is not legal. I will not comment further.

I wish to thank everyone that replied on my topic. I have learned!

PS As I also stated, it appears that the forum is only using it to repair the OS and not to install the OS; if that makes sense.

Thanks to everyone for replies!

donetao!

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:41 PM

I did not know these things. Now I do. I trust BC forum to make the right decisions. This is the way I learn

I too did not know until Luis pointed it out to me in another post. We live and learn.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#13 donetao

donetao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

Hello Not here to cause problems, but I think this might be a good read, even though I'm even more confused about all of this. If I can read; which may be debatable, It looks like Microsoft gave digitalrivers permission to distribute W7 ISO image and now they don't know if they want to honor their decision. I may be out in left field on this, but that's the way I read this. If it's not legal, I would think Microsoft would be filing a law suit???http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/windows-7-sp1-downloads-dry-microsoft-distributor-digital-river-239224

PS I intend to use this to help my seniors in my village until it is proven to be pirated and not legal!!! When it is proven to be pirated, I will stop using it and destroy any copies I have. I'm not a thief and I have no use for a thief!!

donetao!

Edited by donetao, 14 May 2014 - 11:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users