Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to reinstall W7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 sarojgilbert

sarojgilbert

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Can someone please direct me to good directions on reinstalling Windows 7?

• I've already made a list of all my installed applications and gathered the CD's or set aside the installables plus the s/w keys.
  • Most of my data is in another partition and backed up and I have a "last minute backup" list of data on the C: partition.
  • I will soon make images of all settings that matter.
  • My OS is running but the crypticgraphic service and some driver files seem to be trashed and I can't install Windows updates or the missing drivers.  All fail.

I know this is a royal PITA and just want to make it as painless as possible.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

It sounds like you do not have the original Windows 7 install disc

If so, you can download a Windows 7 ISO file from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

and burn it to DVD. Note: Windows 7 has its own built in DVD burner to accomplish this

Make sure to select the proper Windows 7 OS on your computer

Also make sure you know the product key for your OS before you start the process

I believe you can run the downloaded OS for free for 30 days but you will still need the product key to activate the product

If you don't know the product key run www.belarc.com, scroll down to the software license area and record it

--- You will 2 numbers: an OEM number and the actual 25 character product key

Magic Jelly Bean & Speccy can also be used if you prefer

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

System manufacturer...and model?

You have an open topic in the Am I Infected forum...that needs to be completed before opening any new topics in any BC forum, please.