Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Get 'a Squared' Without An E-mail

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jaeluuc

jaeluuc

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:29 AM

So if they don't take those 3, ...

What else is there?

AND

What hoops do I have to jump through to get it?

I am a novice and I swear that I am jinxed! NOTHING has gone smoothly for me!

So PLEASE, if it is at all involved, please explain the steps :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for the help to come :flowers:

Jennifer

PS. please don't tell me to use the outlook something that came on the computer. I tried that and got lost when it asked for my incoming and outgoing servers. The options were a bunch of letters,???
New Beginner
Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:57 AM

Hi there and welcome to Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:
Don't worry about being a novice - I'll try and make things as simple as I can.

Are we talking about the 30 day trial of Asquared anti-malware or you trying to actually purchase the program? I tried to buy the program and I was presented with a form that said - "Carefully enter your e-mail address below because important order related information will be sent to this address. To ensure accuracy, we ask that you enter your e-mail address twice." There is no mention of specific email addresses being accepted only - are you sure you are doing it correctly. Are you given an error saying that those AOL, Hotmail or Yahoo email are not accepted? I don't think that is the case at all - if they didn't accept hotmail customers they wouldn't sell many products. :flowers:
If you are after the 30 day trial you can simply download it here:
http://download1.emsisoft.com/a2personalsetup.exe

Can you post back with a bit more information and I'll try and uncover what error you're making - I'm almost sure that you conception on the company not allowing you to use those email addresses is wrong.

David

#3 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:12 AM

Thanks D-Trojanator for responding!

I'll try your 'direct access' to them.

If I come across the e-mail business again I'll try my hand at the screen shot trick. I read about it but have not done it yet.

Meanwhile, I fear that I have created another problem for myself!

Each time that I have attempted this, several steps into the installing process, it informs me that I already have "this" (can't remember what it was called). I'm sure I'll see it again, so I'll jot it down.

Fingers crossed, Here I go!

I'll let you know of my progress :thumbsup:
New Beginner
Windows XP

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:16 AM

Ok, i'll check for a reply a bit later. I think that you just made an error when you entered the email address and that led you to think that the email was not accepted. However, I doubt this is the case as you tried with three different emails I imagine - It could easily have been a glitch on the actual Asquared anti-malware site, it may have been rectified now for all we know. I'll hang in for a reply whenever you are ready - no real need for screenshots, just jot down any info and i'll do my best to see what I can come up with. If you got anything else you want to ask just fire away!

David

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:23 AM

jaeluuc

I have aČ Free and use my Hotmail account. It has been a while since I have installed it, but I do vaguely recall something about the e-mail address' that you mention. But I was still able to create an account. ;)

The e-mail I received from them.

You created a new account on the aČ Website (http://www.emsisoft.com).
With this account, you can activate aČ Free or the trial version of
aČ Personal and do also other things.

This is your login information:
User: xxxxxx@hotmail.com
Code: xxxxxx

You can use the account data to log in to the aČ Control Center to
change your account information. You can subscribe to the
aČ Newsletters or purchase a license for aČ Personal too:

* I also receive aČ security alerts at my Hotmail account.
Posted Image

#6 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:39 AM

Don't leave me troops!

It just happenned again!!!!

I did the screen shot and copy/paste on word. But don't know how to get the pictures to you

Here is the c/p stuff:

aČ Updater Problem:
User name not valid
The user name you entered doesn't exist. So the aČ Updater was not able to sign-on at the update server to download updates.
Please check your user name input. Please note that the user name is always your email-address, not your name.
If you don't have an aČ account you can create a new account for free here:

Create free aČ account
Create a new a-squared account
Please create your free a-squared account. Once created you will receive an email with your user name and access code. You need an a-squared account to log in at the updater of a-squared (both the Free and Personal version) and to access customer service and support from the a-squared Control Center. Account registration is completely free.
As a company which sells security software, we take the privacy of an individual's data very seriously. Please read our privacy policy.
Name:

Email:

ReEnter Email:

Please don't enter an AOL, Hotmail or Yahoo address! Often these email providers don't deliver emails from the a-squared servers because of a wrong configured spam protection.
If you don't receive the account email you can request it once again here (using alternative delivery servers).

Email-Format: HTML Plain-Text

Select HTML if you want to receive emails from a-squared in web page format. Otherwise choose Plain-Text.

Yes, I want to subscribe to the following a-squared Newsletter channels:
a-squared News
Program updates, customer news, press releases (approx. once a month)
a-squared Security Ticker
New malware and detection information. (max. once a week)
a-squared Beta Letter
News for our software test group (sent when necessary)

It lost a lot in the translation! Theirs was in nice neat boxes.

I just tried to c/p the pictures, paste was not an option. JINXED :thumbsup:
New Beginner
Windows XP

#7 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:43 AM

Hi Scarlett

You were one of the people in the thread that I saved about screen shots! NEAT!

But how do I get it to you?
New Beginner
Windows XP

#8 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:14 PM

Hey again.
Before we deal with the error see if you can use these instructions to work out how to post a screen shot:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/
David

#9 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:16 PM

You 2 are my computer guardian angels!!

I figured while I was waiting I'd give it one more try!

And wonders never cease! I got through with my Yahoo address!

They sent me an e-mail like the one you described Scarlett.

So I'll go on my merry way and install it,

Just one last thing - how do I clean up the mess I made when all those times the set up told me it would be in the C:\Program Files... And that it was already there (at least a dozen times :thumbsup: )

Thanks for the help (and good luck)

jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

#10 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:24 PM

Hi D-Trjanator,

Our messages must have crossed paths-

I will definately learn from that tutorial, (as I have from so many others-they are terrific!!!) as I am sure that I will need it some day!

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Any instruction about my mess?

jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

#11 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:32 PM

Hey jennifer :thumbsup:

I'd imagine that, like I said, the email server for A squared may have been down or something similar. I'm glad to hear that you got the email and that you can now download the program. Right, i'm slightly confused about this error you are getting - it appears to me as though the installation is getting part the way through then it is getting interupted. I want you to see if the program is actually installed before you go and install it again - it could be that you actually have part or all of the program installed and this is why it's warning you that you already have part of the program installed. Click on start, then control panel, and then double-click on add/remove programs. From within add/remove program uninstall the following if they exist by double-clicking on the following entries --> "A squared" or anything similar. If you don't find anything like that then just exit. Now naviagte to this directory: C:\Program Files. Look in there for any folder that is named like "" or something similar. If you do find one like that just delete it - (right click > delete). It may be that you weren't able to do either of the above, but give it a try anyway. Now go to your desktop and with all other programs closed start the installer. Let it run and see if you get the same error - if you don't then give yourself a pat on the back, if it doesn't work then try and note down the contents of why it can't install - ie path names, files etc... No need for a screenshot, just type back here what you see.

Let me know how it goes and of course good luck.
David

#12 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

Hi David,

I got so excited that it worked, that I installed it! another oops - I then saw your last post.

Followed directions to investigate but have not removed anything.

With the add/remove path, found it (a-2) listed twice:

a-squared free 1.6.5 17.30MB
a-squared personal 1.6.5 17.30MB

With the C:Program Files, found 1 folder:

several things that at first looked identical untill you read their labels, slightly different;
-2 of the set up symbol
-6 of their icon
-5 of the symbol of a page with cogged wheels together
-3 of a sybol like a page with a yellow ? connected to it
-2 of a symbol that looks like a page with a tablet on it
-a folder called languages
-a folder called signatures

Now what coach? :thumbsup:

jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

#13 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:11 PM

Well I don't think we need to continue with the instructions now that you have managed to get the program installed. The instructions in post #11 were to try and make the installation work, but now that it is has worked I don't see any point in completing it! The entry in add/remove was simply the program you just installed and the folder was the folder aČ uses to keep all the files/folders needed for the installation. All those funny little files/folders that you find inside the main aČ folder in Program Files are perfectly normal.
So looks like the worlds most hectic thread has succeeded. Anymore questions I can help you with? Let me know of anything you think of.
David :thumbsup:

#14 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:38 PM

:thumbsup: You have been most patient and kind and I truly appreciate it!

If the way things have been going for the past few weeks since I jumped into this scary new world are any indication, you'll be seeing me around quite a bit!

I'd appreciate you being my hero again any time!

Many thanks!

jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

#15 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

No problem at all - it's been a pleasure to help you. Pop BleepingComputer in your bookmarks and pop back anytime! Good luck for the future.
David :thumbsup:

Edited by D-Trojanator, 23 May 2006 - 01:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users