Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Maintenance Tutorials?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IT_N8

IT_N8

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

Hello,

I've been perusing through all the different topics and didn't see one that would encompass general PC maintenance to improve speed and start-up time? I know in working in the technology field, that is probably the most common question I get from friends and family. "My PC is so slow, what can I do"? I generally advise them the usual of ridding of junk files using the CCleaner utility, un-checking unnecessary items from the startup, and defragging if need be. Not sure if this is the best advice, but a good start nonetheless. Does anyone know if there is a good general PC maintenance tutorial on here or another site that would provide easy to follow steps for the average user on things they can do periodically to help improve the PC's speed on startup and in general?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 morris88

morris88

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

have you already searched you tube? think there is a tutorial for everything you can imagine on there now

#3 67Nero

67Nero

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

and defragging if need be. 

Bad idea. This causes more problems than what it fixes.

trace.

Signature500x83_zps94555895.png

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

Hello,

I've been perusing through all the different topics and didn't see one that would encompass general PC maintenance to improve speed and start-up time? I know in working in the technology field, that is probably the most common question I get from friends and family. "My PC is so slow, what can I do"? I generally advise them the usual of ridding of junk files using the CCleaner utility, un-checking unnecessary items from the startup, and defragging if need be. Not sure if this is the best advice, but a good start nonetheless. Does anyone know if there is a good general PC maintenance tutorial on here or another site that would provide easy to follow steps for the average user on things they can do periodically to help improve the PC's speed on startup and in general?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Since you mentioned CCleaner, you can set it up so it automatically cleans junk files and cookies each time you boot up. I've been doing this for years. But it's the only thing I do with CCleaner. Stay away from the registry cleaner. And CCleaner is the only utility that does this automatically. 

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

and defragging if need be. 

Bad idea. This causes more problems than what it fixes.

DeFragging causes more problems than it fixes? How? Explain? Only time you do not defrag is if its on SSD

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:16 PM

Did you see these? You can refer them to both. Maybe if they see it in writing it will help them. Both are basic things such as what you already tell them.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

#7 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

Great information Queen-Evie. I think those links cover it all. :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users