Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 savillejp

savillejp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

I just did a motherboard swap for a customer on a Dell Inspriron 500 series desktop. The motherboard is identical, and I rarely have issues when swapping, so I know this failure to boot is software related. Normally, I would just reinstall Windows 7 and send it out the door, however this is another business computer and I would like to be able to retain their info and programs. So I'm turning to you guys to try and help.

I've already booted to recovery and ran FRST64, so here's that. Thanks, in advance, to whoever picks up this topic!

Mod Edit:  Removed FRST data, not allowed/used in this forum...it is a malware tool used for malware issues - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2014 - 10:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

The chipset for the motherboard has to be exactly the same as the original motherboard or hdd will see different PNP IDs.  These new IDs will basically confuse the hdd and it will not be able to boot into Windows.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users