Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to comprehensively scan and clean up an external hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hmpf

Hmpf

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

I've had severe virus problems recently, which I probably got from a friend's external hard drive. As a result I backed up my data on my own external hard drive. What's best practice for cleaning a potentially infected hard drive? My friend has very important data on his potentially infected drive, which needs to be retrieved and transferred to his new laptop. Likewise, I would like to make extra-sure that no nasties are transferred from my own backup drive to my cleaned or, as the case may be, new laptop (my laptop may have died of a hardware defect yesterday, the final diagnosis is still unclear, though).

Do I just disable autorun (already disabled, in fact), plug the potentially infected drive into the new laptop, and scan it with an antivirus and a couple of antimalware programs? Is that safe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Hmpf

Hmpf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:51 AM

I've googled around some more, and it seems that I need to do something to disable autorun *on the infected drives themselves*, rather than just on the computer I'm planning to plug them into. Is that right? And how can I do that, without risking something "autorunning" right when I plug them in, before I can even do whatever it is that's needed to disable autorun for that drive?

I should perhaps add that the drives in question are both USB drives, which have been used for data backup, i.e. there's no system installed on them (there are some *.exe files on mine, though, as I've also backed up some of my software).

Some of the stuff I found while googling around seems to indicate that a) there is specific software for scanning external drives, and B) said software should be installed on the external drive itself. Wouldn't it be safer to do the scan from a clean system, though? (Except for the risk of infecting the clean system with whatever's on the external drive, of course... but I run that risk when installing scanning software from the clean system onto the external drive, too, don't I?)

I've decided to buy Kaspersky Internet Security and I've downloaded Malwarebytes AntiMalware and  will also download SuperAntispyware. If I scan the drives with those programs (and perhaps the ESET Online scanner?), can I be sufficiently sure that they'll catch whatever's on there?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

Depending on the version of Windows that you are using, there are different updates that you must have installed to correctly disable the Autorun functionality:

• To disable the Autorun functionality in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008, you must have security update 950582 installed (security bulletin MS08-038).
• To disable the Autorun functionality in Windows XP, in Windows Server 2003, or in Windows 2000, you must have security update 950582, update 967715, or update 953252 installed...

After the prerequisite updates are installed, you can use the procedures in any of the following sections to disable Autorun features:
How to use Group Policy settings to disable all Autorun features
How to selectively disable specific Autorun features
How to set the HonorAutorunSetting registry key manually

How to disable the Autorun functionality in Windows

Alternatively, after installing the prerequisite update, you can use MSFixit.png which allow Microsoft to make the changes.
  • Click the Disable Autorun Fix it button (Microsoft Fix it 50471) to download MicrosoftFixit50471.msi
  • Click Run in the File Download dialog box and follow the steps in the wizard.
  • You can also save the automatic fix to a flash drive or CD and run it on the computer you need to disable Autorun.
  • To reverse the change, click the Enable Autorun Fix it button (Microsoft Fix it 50475) to download MicrosoftFixit50475.msi, click Run and follow the steps in the wizard.
If using Windows 7, be aware that:

In order to help prevent malware from spreading (such as Conficker) using the AutoRun mechanism, the Windows 7 engineering team made two important changes to the product:

1. AutoPlay will no longer support the AutoRun functionality for non-optical removable media. In other words, AutoPlay will still work for CD/DVDs but it will no longer work for USB drives.

2. A dialog change was done to clarify that the program being executed is running from external media.

AutoRun changes in Windows 7
Windows 7: Improvements to AutoPlay
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

USB Protection Tools:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

USB Scanning Tools:Removable Media TIP: Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard when inserting the external device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users