Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SweetestMelisa

SweetestMelisa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

I have been having trouble with my pc for some time now. It runs fine until I try to stream anything or do a basic Malwarebytes scan. As soon as I do either of these the fan turns up real high then the pc shuts off. I have tried numerous fixes found on these forums but none of them have fixed the problem. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Melisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

Sounds like it is overheating and shutting down to prevent damage. I recommend dusting out the computer intake and exhaust. Dust can get built up in the vents and cause over heating. Use canned air or an air compressor to blow through the intake and exhaust where the fan is, if you use an air compressor, use no more than 40psi, you do not want to overspeed the fan. You could also take it to a tech shop, the one I used to work at would do this for free. Call first as I am sure not all will.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 SweetestMelisa

SweetestMelisa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

I will give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks!!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

If you are using a compressor you need to be aware that unless it has a dry filter you can blow moisture inside the vents. 

Canned duster (canned air) is a compressed gas, so if the can isn't kept upright you can cause it to spray a liquid form rather than the gas form.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 morris88

morris88

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

definitely sounds like overheating, worth cleaning the fans etc as suggested

Also when using the laptop what surface is it placed on?

quite often people sit in bed or on the sofa with laptops and the material from a duvet/sofa or some ones trousers is not the ideal surface to prevent overheating

#6 SweetestMelisa

SweetestMelisa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

I have cleaned the laptop with canned air and still have issues.

I also keep my laptop on a table, does it need a cooling station under it?

I am trying all suggestions because everything thus far has not worked. So THANK YOU all for any suggestions!! :)

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

Sometimes canned air is not enough to clear all the dust out. It may require disassmebly. There are quite a few things that can cause these overheating issues. The heat sync itself can fail, there is a liquid inside of these and it can leak out, if this happens heat will no longer transfer to the cooling fins and the heat sync will not work correctly.

Heat syncs can losen up and stop making a connection.

Because the fan is speeding up and then the computer shuts down, I am quite certain this is a heat related issue. If you have the capability of taking the computer apart, it would be worth re-pasting the heat sync to the chips. This sometimes requires a full disassembly of the laptop. If you can not do this, I would recommend taking the computer in to have it serviced.

Over heating can permanently damage the system. I would not recommend continued use in the current state.

Edited by zingo156, 13 May 2014 - 01:14 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users