Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to export website cookie from linux to windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcballerina

pcballerina

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:41 AM

Hello guys!

I have been using linux mint nadia for more than 6 months. But I do not know anything about linux, I have just been using it through the user interface like windows.

I have been playing a browser game from Firefox that stores the progress in cookies.

I know its insane but.... what to do?

Now I got a new pc with windows 7 and I want to transfer those cookies to that pc. The problem is that I am not at all familiar with the linux file system and how it stores data... in fact, I have been storing all my data on the desktop because otherwise I could not find them :P.

I googled on this cookie issue and some people suggest using some commands to access the cookie data. But I dont know how to use commands here, and I need a cookie file to import to windows. Frustrating!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:56 AM

Finding your profile without opening Firefox
  1. (Ubuntu) Click the Places menu on the top right of the screen and select Home Folder. A File Browser window will appear.
  2. Click the View menu and select Show Hidden Files if it isn't already checked.
  3. Double click the folder marked .mozilla.
  4. Double click the folder marked firefox. Your profile folder is within this folder.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Profiles#w_how-do-i-find-my-profile

Cookies are all stored in the cookies.sqlite file.

Export Cookies 1.2

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/export-cookies/

Edited by NickAu1, 13 May 2014 - 04:59 AM.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

The latest version of Firefox has a new & improved Sync, that allows for one to have everything across all computers & OS's.

Without having to keep up with that long key that the old Firefox Sync that will be discontinued has. The new way is better. Just an email address & password is required, after registering for the 1st time. BTW, the email address & password that sat up the old Firefox Sync can be used for this purpose. Most of my installs has been converted to the new.

This keeps me from having to save a Firefox bookmark folder for each computer or install. Now I can keep one master folder for FF bookmark backup, though for the time being, I've kept the old ones.

BTW & it's not obvious, had to Google search it, to access the Firefox Libraries, to import/export bookmarks, press {Ctrl + Shft + B}.  Source:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1001116

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:55 PM

FF bookmark backup

I use xmarks.

http://www.xmarks.com/

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

XMarks was too buggy for me. It could have been another of my extensions, because the issue was on both Linux & Windows, but XMarks made a holy mess out of my bookmarks, causing endless duplicates. For each computer I added, the folders grew more & more. Has to ditch that in short order.

Fortunately, as I had been doing since becoming a Firefox user, I manually backup bookmarks monthly. So I was able to delete all, remove XMarks & restore the originals.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:39 PM

For each computer I added, the folders grew more & more

Oh yes had that problem.  Any of my pc's are allowed to add bookmarks to the xmarks account, I only update my browsers end manualy and then select " disgard the info on my pc, overwrite with data on server" .  So I only get 1 set of book marks no folders.  As I have linux on all my pc's I just back up folders like firefox profile etc to usb and can use it on all my pcs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users