Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This *beeping* Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sedgewicke

Sedgewicke

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

About a week or so ago, I bought a refurbished MacBook to replace my busted one. I switched out the new hard drive with my old one and then commandeered it for use with my severely hard-up-for-space PC. I don't think switching it from Mac to PC would have any bearing on my current predicament, since I didn't have any problem reformating it, but you never know.

This issue at hand is such:

One day, it was working fine. The next, it started beeping at me. I don't recall if I removed it, and then the issue started when I plugged it back in, or if it just suddenly went dark completely unpromted. 

I looked up a tutorial on how to fix the problem, where I was informed that "the head was on the plate" or some similarly morbid euphemism. Opening it up, lo, I found that the arm was situated over the disk as was shown in the tutorial. I followed the instructions given, gently rotating the disk and moving the arm back in place. Foolishly, I went and screwed the top back on, confident that I'd solved everything in one go.

The result of this was a slightly different beeping sound. Angrily re-unscrewing the top, I found that the arm wasn't over the disk-- it seemed fine, based on my knowledge of what a working hard drive should look like inside (which would be none whatsoever).

I figured at this point it would be best to just make a video of the problem:

http://wooshck.org/Movie%20on%202014-05-11%20at%2017.06.mov

There might be some lag in the video-- I don't know if it's the video itself, or just the result of viewing it on my memory-deprived computer, but I hope it's clear enough. Note, that after a short pause, it'll start up again... and continue to fail.

I think I might have a warranty on it, but if possible, I'd like to have another go at fixing it myself. Unless it's completely busted. At which point, I really hope that warranty covers file recovery. Thankfully, there's nothing too earth-shatteringly important on there, but it's the principle of the thing.

I think I've come to accept that my fate in life is to constantly be fixing jank hard drives that are sure to break again a couple months later, like some sort of 21th century Sisyphus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

By opening the disk you have voided your warranty. Disks cannot be opened safely in any environment except a hermetically sealed laboratory. You can have another go at fixing it if you like.

Though, I'm afraid it is broken mate. Sorry.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:01 AM

TsVk! posted as I was typing...

I was also going to respond it would be rare to recover normal function once a drive displays those characteristic symptoms. It's almost always terminal, with damage done to head, platter or both.

Any hope of warranty will certainly have been voided by opening the drive, and warranty doesn't include any type of file recovery anyway.

Edited by Platypus, 13 May 2014 - 12:02 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

Once you open up a hard drive you can't use it any more. The only time to open up a hard drive is as a last ditch effort to retrieve information off of it - during that session that you turn it on after opening it. You get your data then if you can, and then throw away the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users