Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Yim Archive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:11 AM

I was wondering if my Yahoo Messenger archive is accessible when I'm not logged into YIM. The reason I ask is because I'm going be away from my home and computer for a while (months) and I don't want anyone to be able to snoop around in my files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:08 AM

Hey PCIlliterateGal and welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:

I think that the only way you can view this archive is if you are logged on. I'm pretty sure that the archive is stored as a .dat file. This means that you can't read the contents unless you decode it, as it would be in hex code (basically a load of numbers). If you go to your All the archive files are stored inside the Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles\user id folder and look for the relevant .dat file for your user and try and open it with notepad (right click > open with) you'll see that it's just a collection of numbers that don't make sense. If you want to be super sure that no-one can decode this, even though it would be very compicated, you could cut that file and copy it to a CD/Floppy and replace it when you get back from your break - you'll have absolute peace of mind that no one will be able to access your archive.

I hope that helps, and let me know how you get on.
David

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:45 AM

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for the info. I doubt anyone I know is savvy enough to decode anything lol. It's not only coded in Notepad, right?

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:29 AM

Yes, you shouldn't be able to open it at all without decoding it. If you open your own archive in your user id folder with any program it will just come up as lots of numbers.
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users