Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plugged in and not charging

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 glynnmania

glynnmania

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

I'm running Windows 7, my three month old battery stopped charging this morning. When it's plugged in it says "plugged in and not charging".

I've tried the fix that has you uninstall Microsoft ACPI, remove battery, etc. and it doesn't work.

Any ideas for a fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

What make and model computer? Dell computers need to recognize the power adapter to charge the battery. If you have a dell computer tap F2 after powering on to go into the bios, under battery information there should be something that says power adapter and either 65w, 90w, or whatver the wattage of the adapter is. If it says power adapter not recognized, it will not charge the battery.

A few things can cause this, a bad power adapter or the cable itself (the center pin is what carries the signal). It could also be the DC jack built into the laptop. (This is the jack the power adapter plugs into). Test with a different power adapter if your adapter is not recognized.

Visually inspect both your power adapter end and the jack built into the computer for damage. If it is the jack built into the computer, some are soldered to the board and not easily or cheaply replaced though it can be done (I just did one today in about 45 minutes). Some are not soldered to the board which makes them cheaper and easier to replace. Tech shops generally charge quite a bit to replace a jack if it is soldered in.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the response. It's a Toshiba Satellite. As I said earlier, the battery is newer and I'm using the same charging setup I've always used. Though the battery doesn't charge, the computer still works fine when plugged in, it's basically functioning as a desktop instead of a laptop. When I unplug the computer, it shuts down immediately.

#4 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

I've also updated every driver on the computer, too.

#5 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

Have you checked the PC Health Monitor??

http://www.toshiba.com/us/pc-health-monitor

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Features-Knowledge-Base/TOSHIBA-PC-Health-Monitor/ta-p/346906

Edited by donetao, 12 May 2014 - 10:42 PM.

#6 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:26 PM

I haven't. I don't have the program. Not sure if I uninstalled it when I first got this laptop or not. Downloading now.

Edited by glynnmania, 12 May 2014 - 11:27 PM.

#7 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Here's down load!!

http://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=2638288

#8 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:53 PM

Got it. It's not reading the battery.

#9 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:21 AM

Hello! I don't know. You might check the contacts where battery plugs in. You could have a MB problem and It can't charge the battery.

You might give this a try!

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power-Knowledge/Resolving-battery-and-power-issues/ta-p/264853

https://support.toshiba.com/support/troubleshootSelfService?PRDTYPE=COMPUTERS

Edited by donetao, 13 May 2014 - 12:34 AM.

#10 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:05 AM

Hello! I don't know?? I'm out of bullets. Are you sure you have the right battery?? Toshiba support isn't very good. They only have three people on their forum that help Toshiba owners. Their phone support is even worse.

http://support.toshiba.com/contact

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

Did you replace the battery? If you did, did you repalce it with a genuine Toshiba battery? Generic batteries often do not work, or do not last. I only recommend genuine brand name batteries. Either the battery is not making contact with the mainboard, or your battery is bad.

Lithium batteries if left for a long time without charging can go into protect mode, if this happens you will need to buy a new battery. I did this to a Mac battery after it sat for over a year without use, the battery would no longer charge. I only had about 140 cycles on the battery and it held a 99% charge before this.

Low voltage is dangerous for lithium batteries which is why they have this protect circuit built in. Over volt or under volt will essentially disable the battery.

Edited by zingo156, 13 May 2014 - 07:53 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users