Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop-cpu-getting-hot i7 2640m

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iceblitzed

iceblitzed

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

hello I hope this is the right section.

well to begin I bought a refurbished completely functional Lenovo thinkpad x220 model 4290fp2 laptop from ebay

I replaced the original hard drive with a 840 evo 120gb ssd

i hope these specs are of some help.

Manufacturer Lenovo

Model ThinkPad X220 Notebook PC (4290-FP2) 
 Operating System 
GENUINE Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit) Installed

Processor  2nd Generation Dual-Core Intel Core i7 (i7-2640M) CPU

CPU INFO 
Launch Date  Q4'11 
Processor Number  i7-2640M 
# of Cores  2 
# of Threads  4 
Clock Speed  2.8 GHz 
Max Turbo Frequency  3.5 GHz 
Intel® Smart Cache  4 MB 
DMI  5 GT/s 
Instruction Set  64-bit 

Hard Drive Size 320GB

Memory 8GB DDR3 RAM

Optical Drive? 
N/A

Graphics Card

Intel HD Shared 3000

Graphics Controller Manufacturer Intel  
Graphics Controller Model HD 3000  
Graphics Memory Technology DDR3 SDRAM  
Graphics Memory Accessibility Shared  

Video Memory Shared

Display Size 12.5" HD LED LCD (1366 x 768)

• Brand Lenovo 
• Part Number 93P5673 
• Size 12.5" 
• Resolution WXGA HD (1366 x 768) 
• Backlight LED 
• Aspect Ratio Widescreen 
• Description 
Thin-film transistor (TFT) Active-matrix Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) 

AC Adapter / WiFi

INCLUDED

Battery 
Battery Installed (REMAINING BATTERY LIFE NOT GUARANTEED HOWEVER)

Color Black

Condition Type 
B**

Product Type 
Business Grade Ultra-Portable Laptop PC

Webcam INCLUDED

Serial Number
 R9MTZVR 
Batch 629535 - RIC  Manufacturer Lenovo

my cpu a i7-2640m has been hovering around 55-62 Celsius just by using internet explorer. 50-54 C on idle.
ive looked at tips from videos online and the only thing i can easily do is vacuum the vents. ive heard of other ways to lower cpu temp 
such as changing the thermal paste but would be quite complicated with my experience (only thing i have ever done was change a hard drive
with an ssd and even that had some little hassle :/ ). I also don't want to buy cooling fans / heatshift pads if possible. Ive heard that these things don't have a very long life and that fans tend to get messed up easily and create noise and waste battery power.

ive tried raising the laptop so that air can flow on the bottom better but it has a small if no effect. should i open up the laptop and clean out any dust maybe. what should be my next solution?

maybe im just being paranoid. I mean this computer has been called a "workhorse" by several tech review websites such as pcmag.com / cnet.com
and others. Ultimately my goal is to reduce heat so my laptop can last longer. any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Edited by iceblitzed, 12 May 2014 - 05:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

The

Maximum operating temperature  for that CPU 100°C

#3 toughtrasher

toughtrasher

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

That temperature isn't too hot, but I do suggest opening the laptop and cleaning it out, IF you know how. Just dust it off and/or use a air spray.

Also, the fact that it's refurbished (ie. it has been restored to working condition) may be causing the excess heat.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

If you have an air compressor, blow air through the intake and the exhaust ports (where the fan is) with a low psi less than 40psi to prevent fan overspeed. You could also use canned air. Dust can build up in the heat sync and block airflow.

As stated above, that temp is well within the limit so I would not be too concerned. You could check if the power options in windows are set to performance or balanced... Performance mode will keep the clock speed of the cpu higher which can cause heat at idle. Allowing the cpu to clock itself based on the load using balanced might help keep the heat down while performing non demanding tasks. I have noticed with my 4770k i7 that in performance mode, the cpu clock never goes below 3.5GHZ this is on a desktop. In balanced mode, it idles lower and has a much lower voltage, the heat goes down by a few degrees C, in a laptop this would likely make a bigger difference than in a well cooled desktop.

Internet flash based games or java script games can be quite demanding on the cpu... If you are playing these it might increse the heat.

Here is what you should be looking for in windows power options: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/whats-new-in-managing-power-settings

Edited by zingo156, 13 May 2014 - 09:23 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users