Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Internet Issues with Cogeco, up to 72 hour Disconnects - Past 16 Mo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ink230

Ink230

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hardware

ISP: Cogeco

Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada

Modem: ARRIS TM822

Router: ASUS RT-N12C1

Service Calls & Conducted Services

Service Calls: 20+

Technicians: 14

Maintenance: 5

Modems Replaced: 4

ISP recommended routers: 3

In-House Rewiring: 2

Bell Blocks Removed: 2

Drop Replaced: 3

Tap Relocation: 2

Fast Q&A

- Modem DC's with or without: a) direct computer connection, B) direct receptacle or power bar, c) phone line connected, d) router connected, or any configuration of settings, e) battery connected, f) waiting 10/20/30/60 seconds before resetting, g) doing any combination of the above

- Technicians stated our signal in the house was perfect

- Technicians stated early on that the signal from the pole has a high upstream

- Technicians who have come out during a downtime have stated 'signals are all over the place, no consistent measure'

- Technicians have stated that they are surprised the connection is up because 'your signals are in flux 10-50 dB on every stream and signal'

- Adjacent neighbours have no internet/phone/TV issues. They are also on the same plan and bundle

- Internet & Phone will disconnect every 5-15 minutes, and be down from 1 minute up to 72 hours

- We will go a week without any issues. Then for 2-5 days up to 3 weeks we will have massive disconnections, and complete service interruptions at the above times

- TV has no degradation of signal or any other issues during a down time

- Weather seemed to be an early culprit, but now the issue is occurring very frequently in perfect environment conditions

Hopefully the above is enough information to paint the picture of the extremely irritating issue my mother's household has been facing. My mother looks after my grandmother. My grandmother relies on a working phone and we have had to pay WIND mobile for service for a cell phone because of how unreliable Cogeco has been. It is a serious liability for us in having a working phone, and internet in the household for obvious medical reasons.

We would like to stop paying additional cell phone contracts we do not need, and we would also like to receive proper and consistent service from Cogeco, or any ISP.

We want to know if switching ISP's would rectify this issue, or if it is an issue that would plague us with any ISP. In that case, do we go to the city, or where do we go from there? Do we reach out to as many neighbors in our area to see if there's a collection of issues? Anything really.

Should also mention Cogeco has given us a total of 3 months of free service. We currently are on the same free credit/no bill for May. I would switch ISP's immediately, but if its a distribution issue, would switching ISPs fix the issue for sure? If not, other ISPs like Bell may not give such credit. Very hesitant. We used Bell for 4 years, and then switched to Cogeco in 2003. Cogeco has been fine up until 2012.

I do not live at this residence, but I am responsible for ensuring tech stuff works. I have been unable to figure out the cause on my own, regardless of how much I've tried to learn about internet infrastructure and distribution within my local area. 20+ calls, and a dozen or so technicians have also gone wasted. Hopefully someone with experience can shed some light on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

How old is the house and the wiring therein? When they've come out during the downtime where did they take the signal readings, at the modem or outside? 

If they were there during an outage and didn't know how to fix it or what was causing it, either the techs are newbs and you need someone that know what they're doing or that's the best they got and I think I'd try a new ISP.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:17 AM

You could try start.ca, teksavy or Bell.  Start.ca uses the same lines but might have better customer service getting to the bottom of it (or maybe worse I don't know). Bell and teksavy will not even use the cogeco lines so that seems like a sure fire solution.

#4 Ink230

Ink230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

How old is the house and the wiring therein? When they've come out during the downtime where did they take the signal readings, at the modem or outside? 

If they were there during an outage and didn't know how to fix it or what was causing it, either the techs are newbs and you need someone that know what they're doing or that's the best they got and I think I'd try a new ISP.

Maintenance had always come out while it was working, or had stopped disconnecting every 2 minutes and had become stable.

They read the signals at the modem, the drop, and at the tap. Not sure where else they took readings. Normally they would say the signals were perfect.

You could try start.ca, teksavy or Bell.  Start.ca uses the same lines but might have better customer service getting to the bottom of it (or maybe worse I don't know). Bell and teksavy will not even use the cogeco lines so that seems like a sure fire solution.

Bell/Tek would put up new lines if we switched to them? My understanding of our area is that everyone would use the current lines, or new ones would need to be set up.

----

2 Maintenance guys were out yesterday. They replaced a tap connector, and adjusted the tap head.

Have had 0 disconnects since they left. Hopefully this remains a long term fix.

Question: All the issues we have been having, for 16 months, could it be all from a tap connector that gets progressively worse over time?

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

DSL doesn't use the cable lines, it uses phone lines. Do you have a reason to believe that there's something wrong with your phone lines?

#6 Ink230

Ink230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

DSL doesn't use the cable lines, it uses phone lines. Do you have a reason to believe that there's something wrong with your phone lines?

The phone and internet lines come off of telecommunication poles in our backyard. If Bell wanted to put up DSL, or their own lines they would need to connect new lines off of utility poles across the street. No idea why they would put up their own lines on 60 year old telecommunication poles that are getting removed this year.

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

Doesn't bell have to serve your landline phone needs if you pay for a phone line with them? I thought they did but I don't really know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users