Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 diesl

diesl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:48 AM

good morning......just a quick question for the experts. i am running xp pro .....i am caught in a loop when logging in, i have the log in on classic and when i type my password it starts the .....loading personal settings then goes str8t to logging off and puts me right back where i started.....i tried the safe mode start up same thing ....last good config. didn't give me an option for going back 2-3 days but i tried it anyway ...no luck. cant do the dos because i cant get past the log in ....my buddy who is a techie in atlanta doesn't like to do all the trouble shooting stuff on things like this and says ....hey just reinstall windows and get it over with, but i am out of town and my disk is in another city so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas before i had to reinstall and loose info i have saved on that drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:28 AM

Well before you reinstall I have a few questions to ask you

What version of Windows?

Do yoiu have Service Pack 2 installed?

Is your computer desktop or laptop?

Do you have an install or recovery disk?

If no, Is there a recovery partition on your computer?

I am asking these questions because there may be a non-destructive way to fix this problem and I want to see if you can do this.

#3 diesl

diesl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:41 AM

xp pro
service pack2 ..is installed
desktop
no disk ...computer was built been working good for over 6mos
no recovery partion i know of

i did uninstall easy cd creator and music match from add and remove programs .......i reinstalled roxio 6.1 and when the installation was complete it asks if you want to restart now for changes to take effect i said yes and then this is when the problem started .......just keeps looping i even tried on my kids profile that has no password they just have to hit enter and it logs them in and i still get looped through loading settings then quickly goes to logging off ...thanks for any suggestions

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

No Disk? You did not receive a Windows Install disk? Did you have a friend build the computer for yoiu? You should have gotten a disk to/for reinstall Windows. THis is going to be very difficult to fix period. You will more than likely need the an instlall disk for this.

All I can assume is that since you do not have a valid Windows XP install disk is that this operating system is classified as Illegal or hacked which ever way you want to look at it. I am afraid that until you have the correct system disk for this it can not be fixed. I would take it back to who ever built it for you and ask them to do the necessary repairs. It comes down to it that you are going to need the disk and with out it I or anybody can not fix it.

Sorry!

Edited by ThorXP, 23 May 2006 - 08:52 AM.

#5 diesl

diesl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:49 AM

it is a good copy i just forgot it in atlanta on spool of disks ....i am trying to not have to make that trip or wait for my buddy to mail it to me

#6 diesl

diesl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:51 AM

plus i cant log in to do anything like that ...remember that is why i am asking for help

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

I know I went back and edited my post.

If it is legal then when you get the disk psot back try this article below and print it out for reference

Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=185301251

Edited by ThorXP, 23 May 2006 - 08:56 AM.

#8 diesl

diesl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

i figured i would need the disk i just was wondering if there was something in the bios or f8 options i didnt know ....thanks for your help and this is a BANGING SITE FULL OF KNOWLEDGE that will deffinately help anyone with probs ...i am spreading the word about this site ....thanks

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:34 AM

Have you tried tapping F8 when booting up and from the boot menu choose last known good configuration?

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:15 AM

If you can get into safe mode with command prompt you can invoke System Restore from there.

1.Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup (before Windows begins to start) to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2.Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

#11 diesl

diesl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:26 AM

thats another issue ....when i F8 i get the safe mode etc ...i tried the last known config but it didnt give me anydays to pick so i tried anyway and still cant get logged in and safe mode wont log in either

#12 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:01 PM

If you have Service Pack 2 installed:

There should be an option on the Advanced Startup Window (F* on Boot) called: Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure...

If you select this option, if available, you will not be rebooted when trying to boot, BUT... you will most likely get a BlueScreenOfDeath, which will tell you why computer will not start...lets just hope for some missing file or something not too critical

"It aint a crime if ya dont get caught"
JU$T1N~1

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:56 PM

Is your logon the only account on the computer?

When you set up the computer did you add your account and leave the built in administrator account or did you just change the name on the admin account?

If you didn't set the computer up yourself, try logging in as administrator with no password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users