Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard disk not appearing on my computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joelbrait709

joelbrait709

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

hii

im using a wd my passport ultra 2tb hard disk and i hve passed it to a friend.Now the problem is that its not appearing or showing in my computer.some one please help me 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:26 PM

when you say passed it to a friend, you mean you let a friend borrow it?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

Hello,

With the drive attached, open Disk Management. Does it show having a drive letter? If not, assign it a new letter.

#4 joelbrait709

joelbrait709
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:54 AM

yeah borrow it is

hey when i open disk management nothing comes up/it is  not responding

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

When attached to the computer, can you feel the drive spinning? Does the LED light up?

#6 joelbrait709

joelbrait709
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

yup the light there, drive is spinning when i connect to computer the connection sound is also there

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Have you tried attaching the drive to a different USB port on the computer?  I know this is an obvious question but have you tried rebooting the computer since this issue began?

#8 joelbrait709

joelbrait709
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

yeah offcourse i have tried all slots no i didnt reboot my computer but i have tried connecting on an another computer but still the result is the same

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

When you said "when i open disk management nothing comes up/it is not responding" Are you talking about the Disk Management Window itself or you cannot find the drive in Disk Management. You may have to scroll down in Disk Management in order to see the attached drive.

If you cannot find the drive in Disk Management and it does not show in other computers, it may very well be a hardware problem. To rule out something Windows related download the small linux distro Puppy 5.2.8. Burn the iso file and boot the CD. After the Puppy Desktop appears, attach the external USB drive. After a moment a  Drive icon should appear in the lower left desktop. Click it once and the File Manager Window should open showing the contents of the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users