Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Dell PC... Linux possible?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Dell Dimension 8250 (ca2002)

WinXP Home SP3

512MB RDRAM

Pentium4 @2.4GHZ

Video-- GeForce mx420

WD 74GB HDD

Optical-- CD-RW

Could I put LXLE x32 on this? Right now it's clunky running XP SP3, so I'd like a Linux distro that's lite on resources. Notice that the optical drive is CD-RW, not a DVD drive, will that cause problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

you sure could i faam running it from a 32gig usb stick on an old laptop. you dont have much ram bu
it should still run fast
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,987 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

Best way to find out if your comp can handle the live version of Lubuntu is to make a Live CD and test it. It

either works or don't....if you burn the CD correctly.

It is small enough to fit on a CD. (683mb)

Lubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr)

PC (Intel x86) desktop image For almost all PCs. This includes most machines with Intel/AMD/etc type processors and almost all computers that run Microsoft Windows, as well as newer Apple Macintosh systems based on Intel processors. Choose this if you are at all unsure.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:01 AM

Yes, you may use LXLE or LinuxLite.  However, with so little RAM, I would suggest antiX or CrunchBang from the Debian side or Zenwalk or absolute from the Slackware side of GNU/Linux.  Or, just running Puppy Linux from a LiveCD or a LiveUSB.  Performance will be much quicker using distros that are really lite on RAM usage.  TinyCore is another that will run just fine on such a setup as yours. 

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

Precise Puppy is a Long Term Supported release, This will be perfect for your machine.

Download the RETRO precise-5.7.1-retro.iso here or there, size = 201 MB, md5sum = 8c1d7db20a055fe847ed954fc246e078. NOTE: This has additional drivers, including analog modem drivers, and has Opera as additional browser for PCs with 256 MB or less random-access memory (RAM).

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

you sure could i faam running it from a 32gig usb stick on an old laptop. you dont have much ram bu
it should still run fast

This.

Your Linux OS will likely run a lot faster on a Flash drive or SD/SDHC card on a USB card reader, rather than on your internal drive. You can place your Flash drive or SD/SDHC card in, reboot & select F2 to enter the BIOS, then move that card upwards above the hard drive to boot first.

Setting it up like this will keep you from having to press F12 prior to every time you boot for the device to load, yet if it's not there, your internal drive will still boot if there's still an OS installed.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 17 May 2014 - 01:09 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Steviejeep

Steviejeep

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'm running puppy Linux on a 11year old laptop with half the ram you have and it works like a dream. Like buddy215 said above, just grab a couple distros, burn live disks and try them out.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

I'm running puppy Linux on a 11year old laptop with half the ram you have and it works like a dream. Like buddy215 said above, just grab a couple distros, burn live disks and try them out.

Yes, there are many releases that can run easily on older or low spec computers. The LIve CD/DVD's & even faster Flash/SDHC drives are the best way to test drive.

For many. the Flash or SD/SDHC drives will be the best choice for full install. Those IDE drives are just so slow, the Flash/SDHC acts as a mini SSD.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

I have mX-14 on two computers from '01  and it is quick with a small footprint.It might not come preinstalled with what you want but that is easily remedied with apt/synaptic. Forum support.

Edited by bmike1, 20 May 2014 - 03:27 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users