Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

humanscale switch mouse driver --- virus?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ema56

ema56

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

Hi I suffer from RSI and this is really impacting me. My Humanscale switch mouse stopped working right a few months ago. I have been around and around with the manufacturer, who tells me I've got to install the driver. I download the driver from their website. It downloads as a compressed self-extracting executable. After it extracts, it tries to kick off a driverinstall.exe file and my AdAware free anti-virus quarantines it as a trojan horse Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT.

I reported this to the manufacturer, they were like no it does not have a virus. Make an exception for the file. I wrote to AdAware, they also told me to make the exception.

So, even though I was skeptical, I went ahead and shut down my anti-virus to perform this install. Well, then my Comodo free firewall kicks in with its own quarantine, offers me some geekbuddy thing. It identifies the same file: driverinstall.exe as malware.

I wrote to the manufacturer again but now I do not know what to do. Should I ignore the advice of two separate applications about this driverinstall.exe file? You can check this out yourself http://www.humanscale.com/UserFiles/File/setup11.8.2.exe

Would appreciate your help, my hands are very important to me

E.

Edited by ema56, 12 May 2014 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hallo ema56!

So I think false positive.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f34ae4b007fa36e967bfd850c8168e10b487ddb2e82ddc493e2aa31d5cb3f1f1/analysis/

#3 ema56

ema56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Alex&Vanko! I looked at this site and it is really helpful. I scanned the driverinstall.exe file against it and it returned 13 out of 44 positive hits. What do you think? Seems high to me?

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/fe3ffae8899c44632cfcea619b48de2202d79c124e16dc0f621185af26673c0d/analysis/

Thanks!

E.

#4 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

It is by Heuristic

Several antivirus solutions and internet security suites claim to utilize heuristic detection to find malware, but what does that mean? The software providers claim heuristic technologies can find viruses that have previously been unknown, detecting and defending from new malware that has yet to be discovered and added to virus definition files

Heuristic Detection is an effective way to locate unknown threats for the most up-to-date realtime protection, but there are downsides.

The main concern with heuristic detection is that it often increases false positives. False positives are when the antivirus software determines a file is malicious (and quarantines or deletes it) when in reality it is perfectly fine and/or desired. Because some files may look like viruses but really aren’t, they are restricted and stopped from working on your computer.

#5 ema56

ema56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Ah, okay, makes sense! Thanks Alex&Vanko... B)

#6 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

Bitdefender is too agressive.Also have in common with F-Secure Emsisoft and G-Data.

No problems for nothing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users