Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing User Accounts from Win 7 Welcome Screen after ADWCleaner

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cormac360

Cormac360

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Hi, Working on cleaning an infected machine for a business customer. Ran combofix and removed quite a few infections. I then ran adwcleaner, again lots of registry keys/services,etc found and removed. After rebooting however, I do not get a user account to click on when I reach the Windows 7 welcome screen. If I boot in safe mode, I can logon no problem. Everything looks fine.

This particular machine is running important software for the customer and a reinstall would be very much a last case scenario and a major headache for everyone involved!...

Here's what I've tried so far.

1- Tried creating another user account in safe mode. No luck, it appears to allow me create the account but no accounts appear.

2. Changed how users log on, to prompt for ctrl-alt-del (currently logging on by clicking on the win 7 animal avatar,etc). Once I reboot and press ctrl-alt-del, I am left with the same screen as the previous logon type. Just a blue windows 7 screen, with windows 7 professional at the bottom. Everything looks normal apart from there being no option to log on or select a user account.

3. Tried system restore - no luck.

4.Tried last known good config - no luck.

Next option is an sfc scan. Also running a malwarebytes and eset online scan at the moment which are finding further infections.

Anyone seen similar behavior before??

System is Windows 7 Pro SP1. In a workgroup enviroonment.

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2014 - 04:03 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cormac360

Cormac360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

UPDATE**********

After Malwarebytes found and quarantined another host of infections I was able to login as normal. All fixed now! Thank you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users