Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newcomer to Win7, couple of questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Since switching to Win 7 a couple of months ago after years with XP, I'm still getting to grips with all the little differences.

For example in Flight Simulator X, whenever I open an aircraft configuration file to adjust it like I used to do with XP, the Win 7 message "Access denied" comes up when I try to save the new configuration.

It doesn't say why my access is denied, any suggestions?

Another annoying thing is that in XP when I right-clicked on a picture on the net to see its 'Properties', a small display panel came up giving useful details of the pics size, file type and location etc, but when I do that in Win 7 all I get is a bare-bones line of [IMG] text that tells me almost nothing.

Any advice? Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

When you launch FSX, do it with an r-click and select "Run as Administrator". Then see if you have the problem.

See if this helps with the "Properties" problem... http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/change-add-and-remove-values-for-file-properties-in-windows-7/ .

Edited by ElfBane, 12 May 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hi Mick,

As a fellow (occasional) flight simmer the problem is not opening the files, it is that Windows doesn't know off it's own bat how to do it. Since you obviously know where the .CFG files live, using Windows Explorer, right click on the .CFG file you want to modify, then click 'Open' in the drop down menu that appears. This will probably bring up a box saying Windows cannot open this file. Choose the lower option in this box 'Select from a list' and then, in the next box appears choose either Notepad or any other text editor of your choice, I use Notepad++ myself but that is up to you. Then tick the little box at the bottom LHS 'Always use this application to open files of this type' and the next time you want to install an RB2-11 engine in your Tiger Moth, click on the relevant .CFG file and it will open in your text editor.

Oh, and you won't get the Windows can't open message any more.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

Thanks guys i'll give it a whirl.. :)

Just one thing:- Chris you said tick the box "Always use this application to open files of this type", but that doesn't work for me no matter what  program I use to open files, (eg Irfanview to open picture files and Win Media Player Classic to open vids)

I ALWAYS click the "use this applic" box, but the next time I open the file later, Win 7 asks me again what prog I want to open it with, as if it doesn't recognise that i've already ticked the box!

So I have to tell it again which applic to open it with.

I'm new to Win7 after years on XP, so maybe I need to tweak a setting or something in Win 7?

I'll rummage around in Win 7 looking for clues.

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 21 May 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

I don't understand this one Mick because it works basically the same way as it did in XP, and indeed all the way back to Win 95. Like you, I use Irfanview for my main image viewer and all the image files on this computer have the name preceded by the red squashed moggie icon of Irfanview, but you select the file associations in Irfanview when you install it. I always choose 'all image files' whenever I install or update it. You could always uninstall / re-install Irfanview to sort this one out. Five minutes total ?

One clue is that an air.cfg file by default in list view has a blank icon beside it in Windows Explorer, if you successfully change the association to, in my case, Notepad++, the icon changes to include a small representation of the NP++ icon, and the same would go for Notepad or any other text editor.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

Sometimes "Always use this application to open files of this type"  stops working properly,if thats the case this might help.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-unable-change-default-program-extension-windows-7

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

Thanks again guys, I'm psyching myself up to have a go at it, listen- hisss...whoooo...hisss...whooo.., that's me doing deep breathing exercises like a weightlifter about to grab the dumbell...

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 23 May 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#8 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

To me it sounds like account priviliges issues, is your current account a guest account by any chance?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users