Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Terminator opinions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wepynx

Wepynx

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

Just what the title says. Does Spyware Terminator really work and what are your opinions on it ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

Spyware Terminator was previously listed as a rogue product on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products List because of concerns that the vendor (Crawler) had connections with a known adware distributor (IBIS). Initial testing found no problems with the software but out of caution it was monitored for several months, retested and again no problems were found which would continue to justify its listing as a "rogue/supect" program.

Some applications that were originally included in this list of "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware programs have been de-listed after the vendors for those programs took steps to correct the problems identified on this page. For each program that has been de-listed there is a note explaining the circumstances at the bottom of the main "rogue/suspect" list (see below for those notes). For each of the applications de-listed during the past year an entry remains in the main list solely to point to the explanatory notes on the main page. Applications de-listed over a year ago have only a note below on this historical page.

Historical List of De-Listed Applications Last Updated: May 4, 2007

Since then, the developers of Spyware Terminator have vastly improved their product. The newer program is easy to use, provides limited real-time protection to guard your system and includes a scanning engine for detection/removal of common adware, spyware and browser hijackers. Spyware Terminator also offers an option for Host-based Intrusion Protection System (HIPS) protection. The free version provides limited real-time protection, does not include anti-virus protection, only offers low priority updates and has some features disabled. The program is an option as a free alternative for those who want some type of real-time protection without having to pay but the vendor strongly promotes an upgrade to the paid version.

If you already have anti-virus protection, there is no need to install the optional Clam AntiVirus integration. ClamAV does not have a real-time scanning engine but you can integrate it into ST's Realtime Shield to include virus scanning support. Be aware that ClamWin has partnered with Ask.com and now bundles the Ask Toolbar (optional) with the ClamWin setup file. I do not recommend using that toolbar.

Another thing to be aware of is the Services provided by PCRx through Crawler and downloadable software listed in the LLCTerms of Use and End User License Agreement. Several of these are programs include registry cleaners and optimizers which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.
Please read: Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Wepynx

Wepynx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

Thanks quietman7, I've read all the formalities already. What I'm trying to get is the opinion of the crew here to give me their opinions on it. Does Spyware Terminator really work ? And does anyone here use it or know of someone who does ? You know, just your real opinion on it.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

I don't know anyone off hand who uses ST.

I personally tried it a couple years ago. Since they began releasing the free version with features disabled and limited real-time protection, I did not find it very useful. If I am going to pay for a program...then I would invest in one with a proven track record that provides quality support.

Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Wepynx

Wepynx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

Thank you quietman7. I know of a few that use the free version, but I'm not sure it's actually helping them or if it's just a placebo affect and they just feel safer. Thanks again.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

You're welcome.