Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PUP.Optional Programs vs Ad/Adware?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 keiman0

keiman0

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

:devil: Hi gang, I'm new to this forum but I am a member at several others. Hope you can assist me. I have a rather unusual problem. I work from my home PC (self employed) as a freelance writer and I do online surveys for cash and points. I also post pix online in a weekly Annime & More newsletter. I get those anime and other subject genre pix from, amongst other sources, online games (addictinggames.com etc.) and recently I ran malwarebytes anti-malware and Glary Utilities 4 as I normally do. This time it dredged up a new animal- PUP.Optional programs. Now the problem.

Obviously I cannot negate and delete ALL of those critters. Because of my survey work and games work, I have to accept all cookies and I must allow all pop-ups, ads and adware. I need to know how I can find out which PUP.Optionals are safe to remove and how I remove them if I Quarantine them. I must keep all ads and adware you see? Anyway I did try simply removing all from Quarantine at malwarebytes but malwarebytes crashed my system and my Firefox 29.0.1 browser! Thanks- jack/keiman0 Campbelltown PA :tophat:

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2014 - 11:54 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

Hello! PUP's are usually not malicious. You can check them here.

https://www.virustotal.com/

A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it. PUPs include spyware, adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that the user wants.

The term was created by McAfee, the Internet Security company, because marketing firms objected to having their products called "spyware": in the view of such firms, all the information necessary for informed consent is included in the download agreement. It is widely recognized, however, that many if not most users fail to read a download agreement in sufficient detail to understand exactly what they are downloading.

Edited by donetao, 12 May 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#3 keiman0

keiman0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hello! PUP's are usually not malicious. You can check them here.

https://www.virustotal.com/

A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it. PUPs include spyware, adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that the user wants.

The term was created by McAfee, the Internet Security company, because marketing firms objected to having their products called "spyware": in the view of such firms, all the information necessary for informed consent is included in the download agreement. It is widely recognized, however, that many if not most users fail to read a download agreement in sufficient detail to understand exactly what they are downloading.

Thanks donetao but I kinda figured that they were mostly benevolent. They are a nuisance but as I said, I have to allow adware and ads, pop-ups and cookies because of my survey work and the gamesites I use for pix. What I want to know is how can I tell which ones are ads, adware, which ones are toolbars and stuff.

No, I always check what I am DLing whenever I DL a software. Now even Adobe is getting sneaky with excess junk software. From time to time, I open up REVO Uninstaller and get rid of the stuff I don't think I need. I thought that either Norton or McAfee came up with PUP. So as long as I can deep six PUP.Optionals and the next time I do a survey, they will give me more of them, it won't muck up my survey registries. I thought PUPs were like temporary files/folders and I had to be wary of which ones I ditched. Glary Utes 4 always finds registry entries and they always tell me it's OK to delete them and I used to do that. Now, however, I check them thoroughly before I delete anything. Thanks for the link. Have a great evening- Jack/keimanzero Scion fka Keiman of Anime :devil:

#4 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hello! Yes the internet is getting to be a cesspool. It gets worse every day. You have to be very careful down loading programs these days.

It seems to me that they all are using down load managers these days. They will install crap on your PC that you don't want.

I have kind of a rule when down loading. I make sure it's just the name followed by exe.

CNET use to be a good place to get down loads. They are now using down load managers on almost every thing. I don't use CNET any more.

The internet will only get worse until someone regulates the ones abusing it. That will never happen.

PS IMHO It is safe to remove PUP's. They will come back if you surf the internet very much. Hard to keep them off.

I use the free version of Superantispyware. I use it on demand once a month or when I'm bored.

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

PS you can tell this is a good down load because it says Superantispyware exe.

Edited by donetao, 12 May 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Anti-virus programs general scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits and bots. Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs), Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUAs) and Potentially Unsafe Applications do not fall into any of those categories and that is the primary reason some anti-virus programs do not detect or remove them.

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Wow! Good stuff quiteman! Thanks! :clapping:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

You're welcome.

#8 keiman0

keiman0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Hello! Yes the internet is getting to be a cesspool. It gets worse every day. You have to be very careful down loading programs these days.

It seems to me that they all are using down load managers these days. They will install crap on your PC that you don't want.

I have kind of a rule when down loading. I make sure it's just the name followed by exe.

CNET use to be a good place to get down loads. They are now using down load managers on almost every thing. I don't use CNET any more.

The internet will only get worse until someone regulates the ones abusing it. That will never happen.

PS IMHO It is safe to remove PUP's. They will come back if you surf the internet very much. Hard to keep them off.

I use the free version of Superantispyware. I use it on demand once a month or when I'm bored.

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

PS you can tell this is a good down load because it says Superantispyware exe.

I use Glary Utes 4 for spyware and it always comes up empty. Agree w/ ya about CNET but I do use it sometimes. Mostly I prefer to use oldapps.com and just use the latest versions unless they are Betas or those other guinea pig programs or browsers. Janitor has a great link that explains about PUPS and stuff. I went right to my bible for the PUP definition originally- wikipedia.org and yeah I am a wiki editor too! Sorry donetao but Super AntiSpyware told me that even wiki was spyware and YouTube and Hulu and most of my anime websites and, get this, the US Govt! I use Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and Glary Utilities 4. I used McAfee, Kaspersky and Norton and all three crashed my poor Henrietta desktop PC! I use an HP Pavilion Win 7 Home Premium desktop PC. My default browser at this time is Firefox 29.0.1 but I use Maxthon 4 Cloud Browser, Opera 20 and IE9 too from time to time. Thanks again- Jack/keiman0 :devil: :alien:

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

CNET and malware discussion topic

These are popular and generally safe third-party download hosting sites for free software:
* MajorGeeks
* SnapFiles
* FileHippo
* Softpedia
* Gizmos Freeware
* fileforum.betanews
* TechSpot
* BleepingComputer Downloads
* Ninite

#10 keiman0

keiman0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

These are popular and generally safe third-party download hosting sites for free software:
* MajorGeeks
* SnapFiles
* FileHippo
* Softpedia
* Gizmos Freeware
* fileforum.betanews
* TechSpot
* Ninite

Thanks quietman7 and I apologize for thinking your moniker was Bleepin' Janitor! Sorry but I have had major crash problems using FileHippo, Softpedia and Gizmos. fileforum.betanews would not be of much use to me. I avoid betas except in fanfictions where I am a beta reader. That's like a sounding board for writing ideas and someone who will encourage your writings and will make good suggestions. Sometimes we are a bit harsh but we temper that harshness with helpfulness. Many thanks for your assistance, my friend- Jack/keiman0 :devil: :alien2:

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

....I avoid betas except in fanfictions where I am a beta reader. That's like a sounding board for writing ideas and someone who will encourage your writings and will make good suggestions.

That's a good practice.

For others reading this topic...this is what we are talking about.

What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware ...you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

Beta version software is useful for internal demonstrations, testing and previews to select customers, but may be unstable and not yet ready for a release candidate stage. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public as a stable final product. Beta software is not intended for inexperienced users since it may contain bugs ranging in severity from minor features not working properly to problems that may potentially damage your system. Not that I am implying you are inexperienced...just speaking generally. However, if you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.

#12 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

* MajorGeeks
* SnapFiles
* FileHippo
* Softpedia
* Gizmos Freeware
* fileforum.betanews
* TechSpot
* Ninite

Thanks quietman7 and I apologize for thinking your moniker was Bleepin' Janitor! Sorry but I have had major crash problems using FileHippo, Softpedia and Gizmos. fileforum.betanews would not be of much use to me. I avoid betas except in fanfictions where I am a beta reader. That's like a sounding board for writing ideas and someone who will encourage your writings and will make good suggestions. Sometimes we are a bit harsh but we temper that harshness with helpfulness. Many thanks for your assistance, my friend- Jack/keiman0 :devil: :alien2:

Hello! I also have had problems With Softpedia,FileHippo and Gizmos. I getting where I only trust Bleeping Computer Downloads and MajorGeels. and the main authors.

I have found that the others use a down mangers, which to me are bad dudes.

Do you have any information on down load managers Quiteman?? I think it would be good to warn members about them.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

I personally have not encountered any download Installers/Managers from the sites I listed. This article addresses sites which do: Safe software download sites Beware of deceptive download links & PUPs

#14 keiman0

keiman0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

Thanks a lot quietman7 and donetao. I just ran another Threat scan w/ malwarebytes and lo and behold! It came up clean as a whistle- no PUP.Optionals or any other PUPs either! I know all about Beta software. I found out the hard way when I tried a Firefox and an Opera beta version many years ago. Why they call us 'beta' readers is beyond me unless it is because we are the secondary line for aspiring authors and in the Greek alphabet 'beta' is the second letter. Sorry for signing off so soon but I just had a thought for one of my beta writer charges. She lives and attends college in Nepal where Mt Everest is BION. Have a great night all- Jack/keiman0 :devil: :warrior:

#15 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

I personally have not encountered any download Installers/Managers from the sites I listed. This article addresses sites which do: Safe software download sites Beware of deceptive download links & PUPs

Thanks quietman for the link. That's exactly what I was referring to. I wish we could make a sticky or some thing to warn members of these down load managers. They are starting to appear every where. it's all about $$$$$. They add tool bars and change your home page and even worse things. I see them here in my village a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users