Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mrt.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twowhat

twowhat

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

I understand that mrt.exe should be in c:\\windows\system 32.  I found standing by itself as follows, f1be32f8d41e31db2445 when I put my cursor over it, it said that it was mrt.exe.  Can I drag and drop it back into system 32 or can I delete it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedRay

RedRay

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

Run a scan with your antivirus or malwarebytes if anything is suspicious get it fixed immedialy.  You can also try scanning it on virustotal to see what AVs think of it.

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Too,l MRT.exe

More info may be found here. http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/142255-MRT-exe-misplaced-in-suspicious-directory

#4 twowhat

twowhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

I have done several scans over the last few days. Neither malwarebytes or microsoft security essentials caught anything.  Virustotal has a 32mb limit and the file in question is 89.9 mb's.  So I think I will take old rocker advice which I got from the link that was provided and just delete it.  I now think that it probably no problem.  thanks to you all for your input i appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users