Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiping Free Space - Memory Loss?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GlenColmCille

GlenColmCille

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

Hello Folks!!  1st Timer,     

Was just wanting to ask a 2pt question thats bugging me?   When wiping the free space on a Hard Drive Does That wipe The Memory too?

ie, If i have a 100gb HD and 60gb is used and 40gb available and then i use one of the various progs which wipe free space - Will that -

1) Wipe That 40gb from existence?  i assume not or

2) (wording this bit is tricky)  After wiping say i delete 50gb of stuff from The HD then would i have 90gb available to me?.(the deleted 50+the original unused 40)  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

Free space on a hard drive can still contain the data that was previously stored there. "Wiping" free space simply overwrites this content (reverting it to zeros or other random content), so the data cannot be recovered. It doesn't make any alteration to the available storage capacity on the drive.

If you wipe free space, then delete more content, the total of previous free and deleted space will become available as free space. The content you just deleted could be recovered if the free space is not wiped again.

Edited by Platypus, 12 May 2014 - 07:26 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 GlenColmCille

GlenColmCille
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

Thank  You!   :bounce:

#4 Platypus

Platypus